Vice President, Creative Development
Creative Development | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop, headquartered in New York City, is looking for a Vice President, Creative Development. The VP will be responsible for developing and vetting new program ideas and genres for Sesame Workshop. The VP will also be an idea generator, responsible for proactively coming up with innovative show ideas, creating new programs for in-house development, and identifying the right distributor for each property. Vice President will be expected to share ideas and contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the Workshop and will possess a strong creative background.
Please note: This position can be located in Los Angeles, California or New York City. California is preferred.
- Develop and lead creative development strategy for new series, specials and other programming initiatives.
- Identify content that aligns with Sesame Workshop’s mission and creative vision.
- Ensure information flow and editorial integrity during all phases of development from conception to greenlight.
- Partner with Curriculum and Content, Research, to develop creative assignments aligning to strategic goals.
- Partner with Sesame Street production team develop SST spin-offs and specials
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with distributors and content buyers to generate interests in our content.
- Review treatments and materials submitted from external creators and work with development team to provide timely feedback.
- Oversee the greenlight process from concept to network pitch.
- Work cross-functionally with departments like Business & Legal Affairs, Finance, Production Management on contracts with vendor/outside production companies, production studio deals, development budget, etc.
- Attend festivals and other events to help scout for creative talent and content.
- Build and foster relationships with the creative community to stay on top of the latest trends, talent, etc.
- Reach out to agents and producers to solicit new ideas.
- Help develop process and best practices for the Development team
- Lead and mentor direct report(s)
- At least 8+ years’ experience in the broadcast industry.
- Children’s Media experience is a plus
- Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas. Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
- Extensive industry knowledge.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
- Strong knowledge of producing community with substantial contacts with agents and content buyers, distributors and production companies.
- Great problem solver and decision-maker.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Must have legal rights to work in the United States.
About the Creative Development Department
The Creative Development team is responsible for developing impactful, mission-driven content that helps kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder. From specials like Monster at the End of The Story to animated and live-action series such as Esme and Roy, Helpsters and Ghostwriter, we create high-quality content for preschoolers, 4 -7 year-olds, and elementary-aged kids.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity