Technology and Connectivity Specialist
International Social Impact | New York, NY | Contract
Sesame Workshop is seeking a skilled Technology and Connectivity Specialist. The Specialist will facilitate the distribution of media content in low-connectivity and low-technology settings and provide technical expertise as SW explores technology solutions and partnerships in crisis and conflict-affected settings. Under the Play to Learn project, Sesame Workshop has contracted an external provider to map technology solutions and partnership models in crisis and conflict settings and to develop a decision roadmap to support the identification of viable, efficient, effective, and affordable technology solutions in low-connectivity settings. The Technology and Connectivity Specialist would be responsible for operationalizing this decision framework as Sesame Workshop pilots new partnerships, geographies, and technology solutions.
The ideal profile for this position would either be an IT professional with a deep background in audio/visual media, who has experience working in low- and middle-income countries or international development, media, or education professional who has experience managing audio/visual media IT solutions in low- and middle-income countries. This person would need to be able to analyze the technical, operational, and security context where they are operating, apply a decision framework to determine the best technology solutions, and then manage the rollout of that solution from the idea stage and partner selection through implementation and maintenance of the solution. The Technology and Connectivity Specialist would work closely with Sesame Workshop’s Technology and Engineering – Digital Media Engineering, Production, Education, Digital, Monitoring & Learning, and Project Management teams.
Please note: We are looking for an independent contractor who will be paid on 1099. 12-month part-time consultancy beginning ASAP, with possibility of extension. Please list in your cover letter and outline of core competencies, past work experience, availability, and hourly rate range.
- Experience managing multi-geography implementation and maintenance of IT solutions particularly in challenging or crisis-affected environments
- Experience operationalizing the rollout of IT solutions from selection of the solution to partnership, procurement, implementation, and maintenance.
- Experience remotely managing low- and middle-income IT partners and other partners through implementation and maintenance of an IT solution.
- Good communicator who can build and manage relationships with several different actors
- Expertise in audio/video format, content management, video compression, and video streaming
- Expertise in human/user-centered design for IT solutions, preferred
- Experience managing complex projects in low- and middle-income country environments, strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of the following technologies strongly preferred:
- Mobile devices/ Hardware & Software
- Mobile devices/Smart Phones, Tablets
- Android, iOS
- Delivery and distribution apps/hardware
- App Coding on Android and iOS platforms
- Web Hosting
- Streaming Devices
- WhatsApp/Social Media/YouTube
- Intel NUC’s
- Raspberry PI’s
- Online/Offline Content Management
- Audio/Video Systems
- Projectors/Mobile or stationary
- Smart Board
- Video and audio delivery specifications
- Compression Formats
- File Formats (pros and cons)
- Transcoding / Compression Software
- Playback Software
- File Storage Systems Technology
- External HDD, SSD, Flash Portable drives
- Cloud-based storage
- Broadband/Internet connectivity
- Wi-Fi Technology
- Mobile phone
- GSM, CDMA/2G & 3G
- LTE/4G and 5G
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Laptop/Desktop Hardware/Software
- Hardware for PC or MAC
- Operating Systems on Windows, MAC, and Linux
- Physical Cabling
- Electrical Power grid standards
- Networking Infrastructure: Ethernet, Fibre, etc.
- Audio/Video: analog & digital connectivity
- SD, HD, UHD, 4K
- SDR / HDR
- International frame rates & formats (23.978, 24, 25 / NTSC, PAL)
- Mobile devices/ Hardware & Software
Sesame Workshop has been awarded a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation to support an early childhood development initiative targeting the millio3ns of children affected by the Rohingya and Syrian refugee crises. The 5-year program leverages the power of learning through play, providing communities affected by refugee crises access to vital early learning opportunities. Together with BRAC and the IRC, we are reaching displaced and host community children and their caregivers in Bangladesh and the Syrian response region through direct services and mass media programming. The program also includes a robust research agenda, collaborating with independent evaluator NYU Global TIES for Children, and advocacy components aimed at identifying good practices for play-based learning in humanitarian contexts and encouraging sustainable investment in early childhood development.
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re active in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity