Strategic Communications Manager, Social Impact & Philanthropy
Strategic Communications | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is seeking a Strategic Communications Manager, Social Impact & Philanthropy. We are seeking a passionate and collaborative individual to manage strategic communications efforts to advance Sesame Workshop’s social impact work in the US and around the world.
In close coordination with the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, the Manager will support a wide range of communications needs for Sesame Workshop’s philanthropically funded programs, including creating messaging and materials to inform, educate, and inspire key audiences including press, potential and existing funders, and internal and external stakeholders. The Manager will be tasked with translating initiatives into compelling story ideas and useful messages, elevating awareness of Sesame Workshop’s impact among strategically important audiences. The Manager will collaborate closely with the Brand Creative, Philanthropic Development, and Domestic and International Social Impact teams.
This position is based in New York City. It will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, Social Impact & Philanthropy.
- Serve as Strategic Communications lead for several initiatives, including Sesame Workshop’s individual giving program and annual benefit dinner and several domestic and international social impact programs, including our programs on military families, autism, school readiness, gender equity, and more. As lead, the Manager will work directly with program teams and funders on a regular basis to plan and execute communications activities.
- Draft and coordinate the approval of press releases, talking points, messaging, newsletters, and public-facing materials for a variety of internal and external audiences, including the general public, media, partners, funders, boards, and other key stakeholders.
- Pitch and coordinate media interviews with executives and Sesame Street Muppets to promote social impact initiatives.
- Support messaging for speaking engagements, public events, and awards applications, including drafting talking points, remarks, and event messaging.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters and press outlets to place thoughtfully timed, high-profile features about Sesame Workshop’s social impact projects, and keep a pulse on potential outlets and trends.
- Identify opportunities to raise the profile of Sesame’s social impact work among domestic and international thought leaders, potential donors, and key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Brand Creative and Sesame’s social media team around key announcements and global awareness days to coordinate efforts and create integrated launch plans.
Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years of communications experience, with expertise in the non-profit sector strongly preferred.
- Excellent writer who loves to tell a great story. The ability to copyedit language is essential.
- Experience developing strategic communications plans and executing those plans to achieve objectives at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Experience working with media outlets and reporters, with proven success in securing coverage.
- Strong multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills who can pay close attention to detail.
- Relationship-builder and strong team player with well-developed people skills; ability to balance competing priorities while remaining flexible and creative.
- Self-starter who proactively brings new ideas to the table and finds a path to execution.
- Passion for philanthropic work and making a difference for children in need around the world.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity