Sr. Manager, Marketing & Audience Development - South Africa
Brand Marketing | Johannesburg, South Africa | Contract
Sesame Workshop seeks a passionate, creative, and collaborative Senior Manager, Marketing and Audience Development to lead our marketing and audience development strategy in South Africa.
This role will continue expanding the reach and impact of Takalani Sesame, the South African adaptation of Sesame Street which has been educating and entertaining millions of children for over two decades. We are looking for a dynamic individual who is passionate about children’s media, television audience engagement, and digital engagement platforms where the public connects with Takalani Sesame.
- Marketing strategy: Develop an integrated Marcomms plan for Takalani Sesame broadcasts on SABC with the goal of driving awareness and viewership and sustaining ratings throughout each season. Assess needs, drive local strategy including any off-channel advertising or brand/media partnerships, set KPIs, and shape scopes of work for in-country support.
- Promotional campaigns: Work closely with diverse Sesame Workshop teams to design and execute integrated promotional campaigns for new Seasons of Takalani Sesame, particularly the roll-out of promo assets across channels. Serve as main point of contact for in-country marketing/PR/digital contractors, agencies, or brand/media partners.
- Audience development: Develop and execute digital strategy to grow and sustain audiences across digital media platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other relevant social media channels.
- Digital engagement: Provide oversight for digital community engagement including providing direction for Social Media Manager (and digital agency where applicable) on content strategy to increase brand awareness, boost engagement, and grow audiences.
- Content and creative collateral: Work closely with Production, Digital, Brand Creative, and in-country designers to develop content, marketing, and audience development collateral, including messaging and creative assets (video and static). Work closely with Brand Creative department for review and approval of collateral.
- Brand: Work closely with diverse Sesame Workshop teams (in Johannesburg and New York) to develop plans to evolve the Takalani Sesame brand between and beyond season launches, including continuity planning, brand positioning, brand partnerships, PR opportunities, and more; elevate Sesame’s non-profit mission to help kids grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.
- PR and Events: Work closely with Johannesburg and New York colleagues, as well as in-country PR agency (if applicable) to draft and distribute press releases; conduct outreach to media to generate earned coverage; track and vet interview requests; assist with talking points; coordinate Muppet appearances.
- Partner management: Liaise with SABC, other broadcasters, and influencers, to coordinate promotions and drive viewership for launch and throughout each broadcast season. Manage ongoing relationships with agencies and other external vendors in line with agreed scopes.
- Reporting: Prepare monthly reports (including analytics, where appropriate) to communicate progress/outcomes against agreed deliverables
- Internal coordination: Collaborate closely with Johannesburg and New York marketing, communications, production, events, and other staff to ensure seamless coordination of activities across different channels.
- 10+ years of marketing and communications experience in mass media
- Strong digital marketing experience including YouTube and social media
- Strong knowledge and experience of the media market in South Africa
- Hands-on experience in multi-channel audience development, marketing and communications for high-profile brands and launches
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong creative skills
- Excellent communicator who can bring together a brand story through a variety of mediums from writing, video, and events
- Experience working with designers and video editors; solid understanding of visual storytelling
- An affinity for philanthropic work and making a difference in the lives of children
- Strong multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills who can pay close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a larger team based in NY
- Willingness to travel, as needed, and work across time zones
ABOUT SESAME WORKSHOP
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, Takalani Sesame and so much more. Sesame Street is our pioneering television show that has been helping kids grow smarter, stronger, and kinder since 1969, and now reaching more than 150 countries. Sesame is a beloved household name in dozens of languages, and it means learning - and fun - in all of them.
ABOUT TAKALANI SESAME
Takalani Sesame is the groundbreaking South African children’s program that has reached millions of children with high-quality, engaging educational content for nearly 20 years. Broadcasting on SABC, Takalani Sesame addresses a range of early childhood development needs from literacy, numeracy, and life skills to instilling a greater sense of self in children and nurturing their readiness for lifelong learning. Based on a curriculum supported by the Department of Basic Education, we deliver content to children in several of the country’s official languages through television, digital media, and community outreach in classrooms and homes.
For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity