Sr. Manager, Finance - Refugee Programs
Finance, Social Impact & Philanthropy | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Sr. Manager, Finance - Refugee Programs. The ideal candidate is someone with experience creating and revising donor funded program budgets and preparing financial reports (budget vs actual) and analysis. Please note: This position requires someone who has budgeting and financial planning experience, not simply accounting experience (although an understanding of accounting is necessary). It requires someone who can gather information from various sources necessary to project revenue and expense. It also requires someone who can and will operate independently and think for themselves, but is willing to bring that independence into a team environment and share information with others, working for common goals. The Senior Manager, Finance position requires someone who can write and speak clearly and make themselves understood both by other finance staff, and by people who have no financial background.
Accounting, Finance & Operations
- Manage all areas of the accounting and finance functions for the MacArthur Foundation, Refugee Programs-Middle East project, including general ledger and funder program budgeting, accounting and reporting.
- Address questions from the Foundation about budgets, financial plans, expenditure timelines and projections, and underlying budget assumptions.
- Review plans to spend (timeline changes, production plan changes, etc.) for budget applicability, reasonableness, and compliance with Foundation guidelines.
- Review and approve all underlying documentation and support for program expenditures to ensure reasonableness, allowability and allocabilitly.
- Attendance at and participation in Sesame Seeds team meetings.
- Review third party/sub-recipient budgets, contracts, cash flow, deliverables (to match against funder agreements) and financial reporting.
- Consolidate sub-recipient budgets and financial reports to create a cohesive budget and financial reports, according to Foundation guidelines, format and template.
- Monitor actuals vs. budgets and notify Project Director, VP Finance, and other key team members of budget variances and/or the need for revised budgets.
- Complete quarterly Close and Estimates for Sesame Seeds. Ensure that all actual and projected revenue and expenses related to the Sesame Seeds project are accurately recorded and reported in Sesame Workshop’s financial systems.
- Work collaboratively in cross-disciplinary teams to revise program budget when appropriate.
- Initiate and generate financial analysis for the Sesame Seeds project as needed or requested by the team and/or Finance Management; answer project teams’ and Finance management’s questions about project financial status and projections and make recommendations based on financial understanding.
- To ensure that budgeting, financial planning and reporting “best practices” are shared with the project team as much as possible, and that as much support as possible is given to project teams to carry out these “best practices.”
- Stay abreast of all project activities and how those activities impact the budget and be able to communicate budget implications to financial and non-financial Sesame personnel; continuously keep VP, Finance informed on the status of Refugee Programs Project.
- 5+ years’ experience in financial planning, financial management, accounting, including non-profit accounting experience, with a focus on financial management of donor funded programs; understanding of General Ledger systems; knowledge of TM1 preferred
- Understanding of General Ledger systems; knowledge of TM1 preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in Excel
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (both oral and written)
- Energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to prioritize