Senior Project Planner. Refugee Programs
International Impact | New York, NY | Contract
Sesame Workshop is seeking an experienced Senior Project Planner to manage startup-phase organization of an early childhood development (ECD) initiative serving the needs of Syrian children displaced by conflict in Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria. This joint, five-year project with the International Rescue Committee has just been awarded the first MacArthur Foundation 100&Change, $100 million grant, and it will be the largest ECD intervention in the history of humanitarian response.
The Senior Project Planner will be responsible for coordinating a multi-faceted planning process in the project startup phase as the team shifts from proposal to execution of this large initiative. Candidates for the position should have extensive experience in project planning and project management with a proven track record of successfully building and managing large multi-sector projects across several organizations. This position will be located in our headquarters in NYC.
The project planner will report to the Managing Director. This is a contract position to assist during the startup phase, anticipated to run from now until October 31, 2018.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely with subject matter experts to coordinate revisions and updates of major project components, including $100 million Budget, 5-year work plan, critical project deliverables, narrative, and timeline
- Perform critical path and dependency analysis of tasks during both 8-month project startup phase and full 5-year timeline
- Establish and track tasks and deadlines
- Establish initial risk assessments and mitigation plans
- Create project plans, policies, and administrative processes (e.g. change management, staffing, and communications plans)
- Communication and coordination across a large, distributed team
- Establish and maintain project scope and changes
- Provide ongoing quality control and issue resolution
- Passion for Sesame Workshop’s mission
- PMP/PgMP certification or equivalent desired (indicate in resume or cover letter)
- 5+ years of experience in complex project management, grant writing, international development, education, mass media, and/or refugee response
- Demonstrated ability to work in highly matrixed project team with a sense of urgency
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated experience in developing countries; Middle East experience and knowledge of Arabic a plus
- Advanced degree in relevant discipline a plus