Senior Producer - Rosebank, Johannesburg, SA
International Social Impact | City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, Gauteng, South Africa | Contract
Sesame Workshop South Africa (SWSA) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Producer to join our country team which is driving a new vision for Takalani Sesame, our flagship children’s educational show in South Africa. With a passion for children’s media, you will spearhead implementation of the new creative vision and strategy, manage the co-production and delivery of new seasons of the television show, as well as oversee packaging and delivery of content for other platforms in line with our distribution strategy. You will coordinate production work-flows, ensuring close collaboration between local production team(s), partners and Sesame Workshop New York (SWNY) for effective and efficient execution of production deliverables. This is a two-year fixed term contract.
- Manage the production and delivery of Takalani Sesame media content for multiple platforms.
- Commission and coordinate production vendors, writers, and talent as needed.
- Facilitate production workshops in collaboration with local production team(s), partners and SWNY.
- Coordinate review of scripts, animatics, rough cuts, and other materials, and ensure editorial execution.
- Attend all studio production sessions to provide brand quality assurance and support.
- Provide insightful production advice to the local production partners and crew.
- Oversee the dubbing, captioning (as needed), and packaging of content.
- Manage the transfer, organization and preservation of all intellectual property, including scripts, rundowns, music cue sheets, and other physical media.
- Lead post-mortem reviews/meetings to feed into production of future seasons.
- Coordinate collaboration between local production team(s), partners and SWNY.
- Serve as primary production contact for external partners, vendors, and talent for all administrative issues.
- Manage budgets, contract deliverables and production timelines ensuring timely content delivery on budget.
- Collaborate with the International Social Impact (ISI) Production Manager to manage the production budget and procurement processes, including securing competitive bids in line with Sesame Workshop policy.
- Assist ISI Production Manager in devising a workflow to capture records for reference and global content uses.
- Assist the ISI Production Manager in preparing and processing all production-related contract requests, vendor invoices, talent payments, and expense reports.
- Receive and approve all video, audio, paper deliverables and corresponding metadata at the close of a project before final payment can be made to the production partner.
- Deliver production summaries for proposals and work plans to help secure funding for future productions.
- Help develop, review and execute content plans, including for global formats as needed.
- Pro-actively seek innovations in format, distribution, and brand management.
- Advise the Vice President (ISI Production) and the SWSA Managing Director on the creative vision and strategic direction for the co-production.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Media, Journalism, or related field with a major in TV, Radio or Film.
- Proficiency in English (fluency in local South African languages will be a plus).
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of production experience, with a minimum of 5 years in television content production.
- Experience in producing children’s educational media in a commercial or social impact setting is highly desired.
- Technical understanding of production workflows including review of scripts, animatics, rough cuts, and related quality assurance processes.
- Deep and up-to-date knowledge of the South African media landscape and network of production vendors, writers and creative talent.
- Experience or familiarity with relevant production and content management software.
- Understanding of standard video and audio content delivery formats.
- Proficiency in MS Office and other project management software.
- Editorial mindset with an ability to align content to audience preferences.
- Excellent project management and time management skills.
- Solid budget management skills and attention to detail.
- Good coordinating skills and ability to work with diverse technical teams on-site and off-site.
- Strong collaborative work ethic and good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only South African citizens and permanent residents will be considered. We will correspond with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within one month of applying, you should consider your application as unsuccessful. Sesame Workshop reserves the right to not fill this position. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage people with disabilities to apply.
ABOUT SESAME SORKSHOP
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, Takalani Sesame and so much more. Sesame Street is our pioneering television show that has been helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder since 1969, and now reaching more than 150 countries. Sesame is a beloved household name in dozens of languages, and it means learning - and fun - in all of them.
Takalani Sesame is the South African adaptation launched in 2000 and currently broadcasting on SABC, produced in partnership with Kwasukasukela, the Department of Basic Education and Sanlam. Takalani addresses a range of early childhood development needs from literacy, math, life skills, and HIV awareness to instilling in children a greater sense of self and nurturing their readiness for lifelong learning. The TV and radio broadcast is complemented by outreach programs.
As we pursue our vision of creating a better world in which all children reach their highest potential, Takalani Sesame is poised for a new dawn of exciting growth. We envisage the new Takalani Sesame being an Afrocentric show anchored on the uBuntu value system that binds African societies and communities together. From championing the patent principle of ‘umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu’ (You Are because We Are) to instilling in children the values of sharing, respect and kindness, and nurturing the spirit of living and working together, uBuntu will be at the center of what Takalani stands for and aims to achieve.
For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org