Senior Manager, Digital Media Marketing - South Africa
International Social Impact | Rosebank, South Africa | Contract
Sesame Workshop South Africa (the non-profit organisation behind Takalani Sesame) has an opportunity for a digital marketing/content/video specialist to join our dynamic team as Senior Manager, Digital Media. With a passion for children’s educational media, you will manage the creation and distribution of digital content that engages Takalani Sesame audience (children, parents, and caregivers), expands our reach and deepens our impact across South Africa. Your primary role will be to grow Takalani Sesame’s online presence with a particular focus on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WhatsApp. A creative in your own right, you will collaborate with the Production Team to make content for our digital platforms independently and by way of hiring and overseeing third-party videographers, editors, and graphic designers. You have experience with and feel confident producing short live-action videos and animations, as well as writing beneficiary stories, designing engaging social media posts and editing web pages. We are looking for a professional who is inspired to play a part in our mission to help children grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. In return, we offer an incredible opportunity to advance your career as part of South Africa’s leading children’s educational media program.
Please note: This will be a 2-year contract based in Rosebank, Johannesburg South Africa.
- Manage overall content calendar and source content pipeline across platforms - YouTube, Social media (IG, FB, Twitter), Whatsapp
- Conceptualize, produce, and distribute content for social media channels, blogs, website, email newsletters
- Develop, manage, and maintain an editorial calendar, and ensure efficient, cost-effective, and timely production of all elements
- Create and implement a framework for planning, writing, editing, and producing content for digital campaigns
- Develop content plans, programming calendars, marketing budgets, and jointly develop creative briefs/RFPs, production schedules, wireframes with production/marketing counterparts in South Africa and Sesame Workshop HQ in New York City
- Facilitate timely execution of deliverables and proactively address bottlenecks
- Research the competitive landscape across platforms to understand industry trends and peer performance
- Manage overall content creation resources including project budgets
- Manage ongoing content uploads on YouTube and social media channels including content programming plans, management of video and game assets across various platforms
- Drive character, series, and brand recall initiatives for TS on digital platforms
- Stay up to date with content marketing trends and explore new content deliverables
- Categorize, post, and maintain content in content management system
- Develop best practices and optimize content for sharing across multiple channels
- Drive creative collaborations and influencer marketing initiatives
- Establish and build relationships across digital media platforms based in SA
- Using data from various sources, analyze performance against defined KPIs to determine content consumption trends – video watch time, views, unique viewers, and subscribers to optimize content form, depth, and placement
- Produce monthly KPI reports
- Vet digital content with program and research teams to ensure proper curriculum focus and educational value
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Digital Marketing, Communications, Media Studies, Television/Radio/Film, Journalism, Animation, or related field or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in English
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate should demonstrate competencies to develop and implement a multi-platform digital strategy that significantly grows the audience and online engagement, i.e. thoughtfully schedule a content roll out plan, be able to write in a defined brand voice for copy/text on posts, write responses to audience/fans, be able to come up with ideas for new content, and do any necessary research of the landscape to inform these tasks.
- 10-15 years of digital marketing experience (paid + social marketing), with a minimum of 5-8 years in digital content creation (with significant exposure to interactive media for social impact in a profit or non-profit enterprise setting).
- Technical understanding of web, mobile and console platforms, video production, digital media best practices, and attuned to industry developments.
- Proficiency in MS Office and content management software
- Experience with Adobe platforms (Photoshop required)
- Understanding of web and social media publishing requirements
- Editorial mindset with an ability to align content to audience preferences
- Hands on experience with SEO and web traffic metrics
- Project management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written)
- An interest in children’s media and experience with games and videos are strongly preferred.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience (not mandatory but will give you an advantage)
- Experience at a media, digital content, or production company
- Experience with video production: writing, interviewing, directing, shooting, editing, etc.
- Experience with social media management platforms
- Exposure to children’s media and/or non-profit enterprises
- Proficiency in two or more local languages
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity