Senior Grant Accountant
Finance, Social Impact & Philanthropy | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop has an immediate need for an experienced Senior Grant Accountant to handle financial reporting, quarterly closings and estimates, balance sheet analysis and general ledger and fundraising database management. The position calls for a detailed oriented, accounting professional who is comfortable interacting with all levels of management and confidential information. This position will have dual reporting to the VP, Finance – Social Impact and Philanthropy and Director, Finance – Social Impact & Philanthropy.
The ideal candidate is someone with experience working for an NGO/non-profit, able to use an accounting system and other systems to locate expenses, payments, enter pledges, respond to queries, create correcting entries, produce accurate financial reports, and variance analysis (budget vs actual) and coordinate with outside departments to resolve outstanding items. The position requires an individual who will follow up as often as needed to ensure accuracy and completeness of all assignments and can deliver against time sensitive deadlines. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate initiative, set priorities, and be able to work well with finance and fundraising professionals. Finally, the candidate we seek must be someone who can operate independently, think for themselves, and is comfortable asking questions to ensure the completeness and accuracy of financial information. Must be able to communicate financial information clearly and effectively.
- US Social Impact and Admin Reporting
- Prepare closing accruals and reversing entries.
- Prepare and circulate monthly budget vs actual reports for the Social Impact and Philanthropy (SIP) administrative areas.
- Enter quarterly estimates for US Social Impact projects and SIP administrative areas.
- Review and approve invoices and expense reports for US Social Impact projects and SIP administrative areas.
- Attend and participate in all US Social Impact project team meetings.
- Update and circulate the Donations and Contributions report to the President, Global Impact & Philanthropy.
- Monthly and quarterly revenue recognition.
- Salesforce/Fundraising Database Management
- Enter grant and individual pledges and payments into Sesame Workshop’s fundraising database, Salesforce.
- Reconcile Salesforce to the general ledger monthly.
- Produce and circulate weekly, monthly and quarterly Salesforce and other financial reports (e.g. A/R aging).
- Meet with Development team to review and reconcile revenue.
- Clear and apply cash from Sesame’s general operating account to appropriate Development codes.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree required in accounting or finance
- 5+ years of experience in accounting and financial reporting
- Must have a working knowledge of general ledger systems; familiarity with TM1, NetSuite and Salesforce (or other fundraising database system) a plus
- Proficiency in excel
- Able to handle confidential information in an appropriate manner; must show discretion