Senior Director, Strategic Communications
Corporate Communications | New York, NY | Full Time
The Senior Director, Strategic Communications, will serve as the lead publicist for Sesame Street, the longest-running and most highly awarded children’s television show in history. This includes conceiving of and executing PR campaigns for new seasons of Sesame Street and other content produced by Sesame Workshop including Apple’s Helpsters, Esme & Roy, and additional new projects.
The Senior Director is responsible for developing an integrated plan to inform and inspire multiple audiences including press, fans of all ages, and partners. This person will cultivate relationships with broadcast, print, and digital press outlets to place impactful features about Sesame Street and other content that, in aggregate, contribute to the narrative that Sesame is an innovative and creative nonprofit organization. A cornerstone of this role is to use Sesame’s beloved media properties as powerful vehicles to elevate Sesame Workshop, and its mission to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.
This position reports to the Vice President, Strategic Communications.
- Develop and implement comprehensive communications plans for new seasons of Sesame Street, Apple’s Helpsters, Esme & Roy, original YouTube content, and other projects as assigned. This includes devising a big-picture strategy as well as executing detailed plans: drafting messaging, pitches, and press releases; overseeing the creation of press kits; and collaborating with our in-house marketing and social media teams. Other projects include partnering with comms teams for a forthcoming documentary about Sesame and a Sesame Street feature film.
- Execute the majority of press appearances for domestic Sesame Street characters: booking talent, overseeing talent logistics, managing scriptwriting and hiring scriptwriters when needed, managing on-site technical provisions, and executing production to create fun and engaging content for media partners featuring the Sesame Street Muppets.
- Work collaboratively with the entire Strategic Communications team, as well as with the Marketing and Social Media teams at Sesame Workshop, to ensure that efforts to promote our work are integrated.
- Serve as liaison between the Strategic Communications department and Sesame Workshop’s Creative and Production teams.
- Oversee press attendance at Sesame Workshop’s Annual Benefit Dinner, helping to manage red carpet and Muppet interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of public relations/ communications experience, including excellent thought leadership, strategic, analytical, and forward-planning skills
- Expertise in pop culture, media trends, and social media fluency, capable of integrating social media initiatives with other external channels
- Extensive production and budgeting experience, ideally with broadcast
- Excellent writer who loves to craft compelling pitches and tell a great story
- Passionate about media, entertainment, and social impact, with an established rolodex of media contacts and reporters
- Action-oriented, hardworking, and energetic; comfortable fielding time-sensitive incoming press inquiries
- Relationship builder with well-developed people skills: an ability to collaborate and work well with others coupled with a strong proactive instinct to problem-solve
- Multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills who can pay close attention to detail
- Strong editorial sensibility, capable of prioritizing and distilling information to achieve maximum impact with messaging
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally with executives and our beloved Muppets, to promote Sesame Street and other projects
- Enjoy a fast-paced, often changing and challenging environment
- Sense of humor a plus!
About Sesame Workshop:
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969.
Today Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re present in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically-funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled