Senior Digital Content Manager, South Africa
International Social Impact | City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, Gauteng, South Africa | Full Time
Sesame Workshop South Africa has an opportunity for a Senior Digital Content Manager to join our growing team which is driving the exciting new vision for Takalani Sesame. With a passion for children’s educational media, you will manage the creation of fresh and exciting digital content that engages Takalani Sesame’s audience (children, parents and care givers), expands our reach and deepens our impact across South Africa. Your primary role will be to overhaul Takalani Sesame’s online presence in the media landscape with a particular focus on social media platforms. You are a leader and visionary who will be tasked to develop and implement a multi-platform strategy to distribute the content and engage the target audience on digital platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, WhatsApp, Email and web pages. A creative in your own right, you will make content for our digital platforms independently and by way of hiring and overseeing third-party videographers, editors and graphic designers. You have experience with and feel confident producing short live action videos and animations, as well as writing beneficiary stories, designing engaging social media posts and editing web pages.
Please Note: This position is based in Rosebank, Johannesburg. Only South African citizens will be considered.
Content Development and Production
- Conceptualize, design, produce, create, edit, and proofread content for social media channels, blogs, website, email newsletters, scripts, gifs, etc.
- Create and implement a messaging framework for planning, writing, editing, and producing content for digital campaigns. Research the competitive landscape across platforms to revise and improve planning
- Pitch and budget for potential content ideas
- Develop, manage, and maintain an editorial calendar, delegate tasks, and ensure efficient, cost-effective, and timely production of all elements
- Facilitate timely execution of deliverables and proactively address bottlenecks
- Develop content plans, creative briefs, requests for proposals, wireframes, production schedules, and status reports
Content Marketing and Distribution
- Manage ongoing web updates including: content programming plans, management of video and game assets across various platforms
- Stay up to date with content marketing trends and explore new content deliverables
- Categorize, post, and maintain content in content management system
- Develop best practices and optimize content for sharing across multiple channels
- Analyze metrics from various sources to determine content consumption trends – specifically digital engagement metrics regarding views, downloads, sharing, etc. to optimize content form, depth and placement
- Provide monthly metric reports
- Vet web content with program and research teams to ensure proper curriculum focus and educational value
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Communications, Media Studies, Television/Radio/Film, Journalism, Animation or related field
- Proficiency in English
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate should demonstrate competencies to develop and implement a multi-platform digital strategy that significantly grows the audience and online engagement, i.e. thoughtfully schedule a content roll out plan, be able to write in a defined brand voice for copy/text on posts, write responses to audience/fans, be able to come up with ideas for new content, and do any necessary research of the landscape to inform these tasks.
- 10-15 years of digital media experience, with a minimum of 5-8 years of experience in digital content creation (with significant exposure to interactive media for social impact in a profit or non-profit enterprise setting).
- Technical understanding of web, mobile and console platforms, video production, digital media best practices, and attuned to industry developments.
- Proficiency in MS Office and content management software
- Experience with Adobe platforms (Photoshop required)
- Understanding of web and social media publishing requirements
- Editorial mindset with an ability to align content to audience preferences
- Hands on experience with SEO and web traffic metrics
- Project management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written)
- An interest in children’s media and experience with games and videos are strongly preferred.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience (not mandatory but will give you an advantage)
- Experience at a media, digital content, or production company
- Experience with video production: writing, interviewing, directing, shooting, editing, etc.
- Experience with social media management platforms
- Exposure to children’s media and/or non-profit enterprises
- Proficiency in two or more local languages
In addition to the opportunity to join one of the most recognized and loved children’s educational media brands in South Africa and beyond, a competitive, market-linked remuneration package will be offered to the right candidate.
We are reviewing applications and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Sesame Workshop reserves the right not to fill the role.
ABOUT SESAME WORKSHOP
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, Takalani Sesame and so much more. Sesame Street is our pioneering television show that has been helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder since 1969, and now reaching more than 150 countries. Sesame is a beloved household name in dozens of languages, and it means learning - and fun - in all of them. Takalani Sesame is the South African adaptation launched in 2000. Currently broadcasting on SABC, it addresses a range of early childhood development needs from literacy, math and life skills, to instilling in children a greater sense of self and nurturing their readiness for lifelong learning. The TV and radio broadcast is complemented by outreach programs.