Manager, Public Relations and Publicity
Strategic Communications | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop seeks a Manager, Public Relations and Publicity who is a passionate and collaborative individual to manage strategic communications efforts to advance Sesame Workshop’s activities in the U.S. and around the world.
In close coordination with the two Directors of PR and Publicity, the Manager will support a wide range of communications needs for Sesame Workshop’s media, education and business, and social impact programs, including creating messaging and materials to inform, educate, and inspire key audiences including press, potential and existing funders, and internal and external stakeholders. The Manager will be tasked with translating initiatives into compelling story ideas and useful messages, elevating awareness of Sesame Workshop’s impact among strategically important audiences.
This position reports to the two Directors, PR and Publicity.
- Plan, implement and support communications strategies to promote and expand Sesame Workshop’s global work including new shows and social impact initiatives.
- Draft and coordinate the approval of press releases, talking points, messaging, newsletters, and public-facing materials for a variety of internal and external audiences, including the general public, media, partners, funders, boards, and other key stakeholders.
- Pitch and coordinate media interviews with executives and Sesame Street Muppets to promote the organization’s initiatives.
- Support senior department staff by coordinating of talent logistics, budgets, travel/lodging, briefing documents and talking points.
- Assist in research and preparation of background materials for initiatives, partnerships, public events and announcements.
- Cultivate relationships with press outlets to place thoughtfully timed features about Sesame Workshop as a center of creativity, innovation, business savvy, and philanthropic heft.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Events, and Speakers Bureau to identify best outreach strategies and align messaging.
- 3-4 years of experience in strategic communications or public relations
- Excellent writing skills and strong editorial sensibility, capable of prioritizing and distilling information to achieve maximum impact with messaging
- Strong editorial sensibility, with an ability to prioritize and distill information to achieve maximum impact with messaging
- Proven ability to maintain a “big picture” view while recognizing the importance of a close attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and work well with others
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and has the ability to multi-task
- Track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety projects at the same time
- Knowledge of and passion for nonprofit organizations and children’s media, specifically Sesame Workshop’s mission-driven work
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity