Manager of Speakers Bureau & Special Events
Speakers Bureau | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop seeks a highly organized and detail-oriented Manager of Speakers Bureau & Special Events to work in close coordination with the Vice President of Public Affairs & Special Events. The ideal candidate is a strong writer and self-starter who takes initiative, prioritizes well, and can multi-task effectively. The candidate will have experience in and/or knowledge of the non-profit sector and/or children’s education and media. This is a relationship-focused, process-oriented role that requires sensitivity in working well internally as well as handling audience facing opportunities.
The Manager will support the VP with the coordination of all Sesame staff speaking engagements and other event-related needs, including fielding incoming speaker requests, researching additional speaking opportunities, writing session briefs and talking points, designing presentations, maintaining contracts for vendors, facilitating legal agreements, managing event logistics, and providing administrative and organizational support to Speakers Bureau and other Events team members as needed.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 5:30pm (Occasional extended hours or weekends, pending event needs)
To secure and facilitate speaking engagements to elevate Sesame Workshop initiatives, content, and mission. Primary duties include:
- Prioritize and manage multiple speaker opportunities simultaneously, vetting incoming speaking requests and making recommendations on which opportunities are worth pursuing
- Perform a high volume of outreach and research for potential speaking opportunities
- Prepare summary briefs about conferences, summits, and other convenings where Sesame Workshop might pursue speaking opportunities
- Conduct intake calls to capture the details of speaking opportunities and prepare notes to share with potential speakers
- Facilitate live Muppet appearances, as needed, in coordination with the Production department and The Jim Henson Company
- Coordinate with the Legal department to prepare speaker agreements and/or permission letters to protect Sesame Workshop’s content and representatives
- Develop and maintain records tracking Speakers Bureau activity across all divisions of the organization
- Assist in developing compelling presentations for delivery at high-level events, conferences, and partner or funder meetings, including drafting talking points and creating accompanying well-designed PowerPoint presentations
- Speak—with clarity, purpose, and passion—about our organization’s mission and roster of visionary speakers
- Represent Sesame Workshop to a variety of external parties, including conference organizers, Sesame partners, colleges and universities, nonprofits, and corporations both in the United States and internationally
- Liaise with Strategic Communications, Marketing, Finance, Legal, Production, Brand Creative, and other internal departments to coordinate all speaking engagement communications and logistics
- Arrange pre-program calls with speakers and event hosts to review presentation content and logistics
- Coordinate AV, travel arrangements, prepare travel packets, briefings, and meeting agendas as directed for speakers and talent
- Provide regular event status reports regularly to the VP of Public Affairs & Special Events
- Staff speakers and talent onsite at events, as needed, and provide additional onsite support for corporate & special events whenever possible
- Administrative support: answering phones, handling correspondence, processing expense reports, filing, scheduling, managing travel logistics, coordinating speaker/event binders, and preparing briefing documents, etc.
- 3-5 years of events and/or public affairs experience in the non-profit sector
- Excellent writer who loves to tell a great story, whether it’s a presentation or an event invitation
- Superior process management skills: exceptional time management and follow-through, experience with deadline-driven projects in a fast-paced environment, attention to detail
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the non-profit sector and/or children’s education and media
- Strong people skills
- Availability to work occasional extended hours or weekends, pending event needs
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
Department Overview: Public Affairs & Special Events is a division of the Global Impact and Philanthropy department that is responsible for growing Sesame Workshop’s brand visibility and global presence by supporting live character appearances, shows and community engagement opportunities. The team collaborates with a variety of domestic and international partners, stakeholders, and service providers to support a vast range of goals across the company’s mission in support of essentially every division. The PA/Events team is continually coordinating regularly scheduled calendar events and speaking engagements, while also planning for new initiatives and event requests.
About Sesame Workshop: Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re active in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically-funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve.