Manager, Finance-Humanitarian Programs
Finance, Social Impact & Philanthropy | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop has an immediate need for an experienced Manager, Finance-Humanitarian Programs to support the financial management and reporting around Sesame’s Humanitarian Initiative. This position requires someone with solid budgeting, financial planning, reporting and compliance experience to assist with managing a portfolio of work, in excess of $40M in annual revenue.
The ideal candidate is someone with experience working for an NGO/non-profit, creating, revising and monitoring donor funded program budgets and preparing financial reports (budget versus actual) and analysis. The position will require someone who can gather information from various stakeholders necessary to budget and forecast revenues and expenses. In addition, the candidate must be someone who can operate independently and think for themselves and is comfortable asking questions to ensure the completeness and accuracy of financial information. While operating independently, the candidate must have the ability to function in a team setting, where it will be their responsibility to provide financial data to various levels of management on the team. Finally, the position requires someone who is detailed-oriented and can communicate financial information clearly and effectively.
- Manage all areas of the accounting and finance function for the Refugee programs, including general ledger and funder program budgeting, accounting and reporting.
- Address questions from donors about budgets, financial plans, expense timelines and projections, and the underlying budget assumptions.
- Review plans to spend for budget applicability and reasonableness. Ensure all program expenditures follow Sesame Workshop’s internal policies and procedures as well as donor requirements.
- Review and approve all documentation and support for program spending to ensure reasonableness, allowability and allocability.
- Attend and participate in all project team meetings.
- Review third party/sub-recipient budgets, contracts, cash flow statements against funder agreements and internal financial projections.
- Consolidate sub-recipient budgets and financial reports to create a cohesive budget and financial reports, according to donor guidelines and format.
- Continuously, monitor budget versus actual and notify the program Managing Director, VP Finance and other key team members of budget variances and/or the need for revised budgets.
- Complete Quarterly Close and Estimates (Forecasts); ensure that all actual and projected revenue and expenses related to the Refugee initiative are accurately recorded, accrued, and reported in Sesame Workshop’s financial systems.
- Stay abreast of all project activities and how those activities impact the budget, and communicate budget implications to financial and non-financial Sesame personnel; keep VP, Finance (and CFO) informed on program changes that will impact the budget.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 6-7 years experience with donor funded financial planning, financial management and budgeting experience; non-profit accounting experience required
- Must have a working knowledge of general ledger systems; familiarity with TM1 and NetSuite a plus
- Proficiency in excel
- Ability to prioritize and deliver accurate and polished work