Internal Application: General Manager, International Programs and Operations
International Social Impact | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact department is seeking an experienced and imaginative General Manager, International Programs and Operations. He/she will be responsible for the operational oversight and strategic guidance of Sesame Workshop’s Country Offices in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. In addition, the General Manager will have budgetary responsibility for the department’s extensive early childhood development programming in these regions. Note that this does not include Sesame Workshop’s humanitarian programs.
The right candidate will have a proven track record leading complex organizations as well as significant experience developing a cohesive team to deliver high-quality programming across multiple countries, organizational partners, and areas of expertise. The position is based in New York City with regular travel and reports to the Senior Vice President, International Social Impact. He/she will manage a team of five direct reports (including the Managing Directors of our Bangladesh, India, and South Africa Country Offices as well as two New York-based project management leads).
Strategy and Business Development
- Work with the SVP to develop a strategic plan that expands Sesame Workshop’s footprint in focus geographies and delivers on objectives of increasing reach and deepening impact
- Identify, analyze and present new businesses opportunities that align with the department’s strategy; help develop business plans to support entry to new markets; guide the implementation of approved new business opportunities
- Country Office Management and Operations
- Ensure the overall financial and operational health and sustainability of Country Offices, with a focus on building a robust and reliable pipeline of funding to support our international work; manage a budget of over $13 million
- Work with Managing Directors of Country Offices to design and implement short- and long-term strategies in areas including: partnerships (media partnerships included) and business planning
- Lead and work with Managing Directors of Country Offices to ensure annual planning, staffing, and budgets for Country Offices are optimized for greatest impact
- Provide operational support for Country Offices, as needed, leveraging support from New York headquarters in areas including human resources, legal, and compliance
- Provide oversight and accountability of Country Office Managing Directors and other key staff
- Ensure preparation for requisite board meetings
- Other department operations as needed
- Oversee the NY based Program Management team, ensuring all programs are executed in accordance with funders’ guidelines and result in measurable impact
- Establish program management processes to maximize cost-effectiveness, quality, and impact
- Drive efficiencies by ensuring effective coordination and alignment between Country Office operations and New York-led international programs
- Must have 10-15 years’ combined experience working for a leading strategy consulting firm (at least 5 years), with a focus on non-profit clients and international operational experience in fields such as international development in education or ECD settings, or within a related for-profit environment.
- Direct experience and accountability managing a multi-million budget or P&L (at least $10M)
- Master’s degree in a related field of study, MBA or MPA in Nonprofit Management required
- Deep understanding of the development sector, particularly early childhood development, education, and/or child protection
- Experience in field operations, regional leadership and headquarters-based strategy positions strongly desired
- Experience living and/or working in low-resource settings (experience in South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa preferred)
- Experience developing strategy and managing an international portfolio of diverse, complex projects with successful and measurable outcomes
- Strong track record of success in leading remote international teams, and overseeing flawless execution for the desired outcomes
- Proven success working closely and building relationships with global staff, partners, and donors will this person build donor relationships?
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills)
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with a passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently internationally as needed, and occasionally on short notice, up to 30% of the time
Department Overview – International Social Impact
Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact department, a division of Global Impact and Philanthropy, develops and implements Sesame’s powerful initiatives to serve children and families around the world. Sesame’s research-driven initiatives reach many children who would otherwise have little or no access to early childhood education,and support all aspects of children’s development – including healthy habits, cognitive development in areas such as early literacy and math, and social-emotional well-being and resilience. We reach and engage children, parents and caregivers using multiple media platforms and innovative strategies – from television and radio to digital media, mobile technologies, books, E-books, magazines, classroom materials, teacher/provider training, social media, and more.
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder since 1969. Today Sesame Workshop is a global educational force for change with a mission to reach the world’s most vulnerable children. We’re in more than 150 countries, serving kids through a wide range of media and philanthropically-funded social impact programs, all grounded in rigorous research and individually tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. Sesame is a beloved household name in dozens of languages, and it means learning – and fun – in all of them. For more information, please visit sesameworkshop.org.