Fall 2019 - Archive Intern
Archive | New York, NY | Internship
Sesame Workshop is looking for an Archive Intern for Fall 2019. The Archive intern will work closely with the Archives and Collection Manager in bibliographic research and cataloging of Sesame Workshop’s extensive original book art collection. There will also be the opportunity to assist in departmental requests for content in relation to our 50th anniversary and contribute to digital asset management of our photo collection.
The internship will assist with a variety of in-house departments and stakeholders to ensure the long-term viability of the myriad assets and artwork, coordinate storage, inform collection acquisition and retention policies, catalog assets in electronic databases, fulfill internal and external asset requests, and manage the onsite physical archive.
- Assess, categorize, label collections, including identifying, scanning, and describing individual collections and pieces
- re-house collections, as analysis deems necessary
- Process collections into existing systems, databases and metadata
- Assist in the selection and presentation of internal exhibits and displays
- Conduct archival research to fulfill various external and internal needs, with a focus on the company-wide 50th anniversary celebration in 2019.
- Work closely with many internal departments, including Marketing, Publicity, International, Museums & Exhibits, Television Production, Technical Operations, Information Services, and others to ensure efficient cataloging, asset delivery, and request fulfillment
- Pursuing MLIS with an interest in Archives or Museum Studies
- Familiarity with techniques for proper handling of photography, art and paper records
- Knowledge of best practices in preservation strategies for non-digitally-born material and for management of digitally born materials
- Familiarity with metadata standards (METS, EAD/XML, PREMIS, MARC, or others) and finding aids
- Working knowledge of Mac OS or Windows and familiarity with Excel.
- Familiarity with digital asset management systems and data management
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion when handling confidential materials
- Well-developed interpersonal and writing skills are essential for efficient interdepartmental communication and teamwork
- Courteous and helpful attitude in fulfillment of external requests and interfacing with the public.
- Organized, detail-oriented, an affinity for critical thinking and problem solving, and comfortable working independently
- An interest in children’s media, education, and/or pop culture is appreciated. A sense of humor is a plus!
- Requires the ability to lift, push, pull and/or physically maneuver boxes of materials (a maximum of about 35 lbs.)
- Sometimes work in storage facilities and other environments that may involve exposure to dust or mold
- Frequent bending, stooping and stretching
- Mainly normal office environment
Please note: This a three day a week internship and is paid $15 dollars per hour
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled