Internal Application: EVP, Head of Global Media and Education / Enterprises
International Media Business | Hybrid in New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for an Executive Vice President and Head of Global Media and Education / Enterprises. Sesame Enterprises encompasses all commercial and earned revenue efforts for the organization with the goal of generating revenue, building the brand, and expanding the distribution of content in support of our mission across multiple media platforms in the US and around the World. Key areas of focus right now are content distribution, product licensing, digital products and services, location-based entertainment, sponsorship, and schools. The EVP will directly report to the CEO and lead a staff of over 70 in New York and 20+ FTEs in offices in China, Europe, Japan and Latin America. The EVP will also support relevant commercial efforts in our India, South Africa, Bangladesh and Middle East Offices, which are currently primarily philanthropically supported. Revenue from Sesame Enterprises comprises 65 to 70% of total Sesame Workshop revenue. The efforts are also crucial to our mission delivery and brand building. The EVP will also serve on the Workshop’s Operations Team, driving the overall strategy of the organization.
The position drives the strategy, manages a P&L, and works closely with other areas of the organization to help drive Sesame Workshop’s growth and mission of helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder.
The right leader will be a strong manager, an entrepreneurial business builder, a good communicator, and a team player who is passionate about our mission. Will manage and grow existing revenue opportunities and also help identify and develop new ones. The EVP will set the strategy, oversee the operations, and manage the P&L. Must work effectively across the organization and be strong in external partner development and management. The EVP should also come with a strong background in media and brands.
The strategic development, direction and implementation of Sesame Enterprises/global media and education business include:
- Domestic and international distribution across multiple platforms
- Consumer products licensing, themed entertainment, digital production, publishing, podcasts
- Location Based Entertainment
- Schools and related educational opportunities
- Partnering with Social Impact Group on Social Impact work in the related territories
- New business development and deal negotiation
- Manage key strategic relationships- internal and external
- Oversee and direct all aspects of the day-to-day activities of the group
- Create and manage the overall budget for Enterprises/global media and education, including partnering closely with Production in its content development, budget, and planning process
- Responsible for local offices in Europe, China, Japan, and Latin America with major business presence in Australia and rest of Asia
- Support the Enterprises/Media and Education work in Social Impact focused territories in India, Bangladesh, South Africa and in the Middle East
- Sits on the Operations team and has a key voice driving the current and future direction of the Workshop
- Presents to the Board of Directors on key strategic initiatives and updates for Enterprises
- 15+years of demonstrated success experience as a general manager with deep Media and/or Educational Business experience; international and kids business experience is desirable
- MBA or equivalent job experience
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Outstanding leadership abilities with track record in creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive community
- Well-developed strategic, critical thinking, analytical skills, and deal negotiation skills
- Ability to influence, engage, direct, motivate and support a team as well as internal colleagues (direct/indirect); provide clear and concise direction and feedback
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills with the ability to write effectively and clearly communicate ideas
- Passion for the Mission of Sesame Workshop
ABOUT SESAME WORKSHOP
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re active in more than 150 countries with eight local offices around the world, serving children through a wide range of media production and distribution, formal education, and social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. We are also active in product licensing, themed entertainment, and social media to help build our brand and fund our mission. Our funding is driven by both earned commercial revenue and philanthropic support. For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity