Editorial Director & Curriculum Specialist
Formal Learning | New York, NY | Temporary
Sesame Workshop is seeking an experienced and thoughtful Editorial Director & Curriculum Specialist for its Organization-wide initiative, “Coming Together.” This role is responsible for translating the vision and goals of the initiative into curriculum resources. Working closely with the head of the Formal Learning team and as part of the Racial Justice Content Synergy work, this 12–18-month role will be instrumental in managing the development of detailed, engaging curricula and high-quality quality educational resources, writing and developing prototypes, collaborating with subject experts, outlining objectives, and providing feasible timeframes, and managing external curriculum writers and vendors
Please note: This role will go till June 2022 with a possible extension.
Key areas of responsibility with focus on Curriculum Development:
With a background in educational theory and child development, this role will lead the development of curriculum materials for PreK-Grade 2. A deep understanding of the complete product development process, writing and editorial excellence, and the ability to develop and manage against schedules are critical aspects for this role. This role works collaboratively with Sesame Workshop service groups (finance, digital production, research, and brand creative), external partners, and vendors.
- Develop prototypes.
- Providing management structure to ensure the high-quality and creative developmentally appropriate curriculum is on time and on budget.
- Manage the academic and advisory feedback.
- Translate pedagogy into product and services – from concept through product development, formative research, and successful implementation in order to ensure measurable learning outcomes.
- Ensure that the content, organization, and style of each “manuscript” to be published meets Sesame Workshop’s editorial standards and voice for developmental appropriateness, accuracy, clarity, creativity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Support the implementation of the curriculum during the final pilot phase.
- Develop and manage schedules, budgets, and capacity building through external freelancers and vendors.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure editorial accuracy.
- Develop editorial and style guides
- Hire and manage external freelancers and vendors
- Map content plan
- Review product specs and content integration for fidelity to learning goals
- Capture and share issues and solutions related to content and instructional design
- Manage the day-to-day content development cycle and associated staff
- Ensure commitment to the Workshop and product brand(s) and imprints
- Master’s Degree in education or child development preferred
- 10-15 years of editorial experience with 5+ years of educational publishing experience in a management role.
- Deep knowledge of child development and pedagogy
- Proven experience in digital and interactive media
- Experience in linear story-based media, video, a plus
- Classroom teaching experience a plus
- Mastery of all of Microsoft Office Suite
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity