Director of Post Production
Sesame Street Production | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Director of Post Production. The Director of Post-Production oversees the post-production operations of Sesame Street and all other live-action and animated episodic series and short-form content produced by Sesame Workshop.
This position is responsible for the successful delivery of Sesame Workshop content to broadcast partners HBO Max, PBS, International distribution partners, and video websites such as YouTube. The role also oversees delivery and archival storage -in conjunction with technical operations and Production Management- of series produced by 3rd party studios or external production partners on behalf of Sesame Workshop and the delivery of those series to the appropriate distribution partners.
This role coordinates with both internal stakeholders across departments and external partners to understand their post-production needs and timelines and deliver Post-Production solutions.
As technology evolves and partner delivery requirements change, this role requires the individual to stay informed of new technologies and editorial and delivery standards and work with IT & Tech Ops to develop new workflow solutions.
- Manage a team of 4 full-time editors, 1 Assistant editor, the 3-member Post-Production operations team and several freelancers.
- Create and Manage various Sesame Workshop Post-Production Budgets in consultation with Production Management
- Manage the Post-Production process at all stages of editorial, sound, color and mix. Ability to relay and interpret notes from various creative groups to editors and other post personnel.
- Manage the overall Post-Production schedule for multiple series and plan priorities and responsibilities.
- Partner with external production partners and animation studios
- Hire and forecast freelancer needs as series staff up and down. Keep a database and stay connected to a diverse pool of post-production talent.
- Establish a system that allows for backup coverage when new projects arise and freelancers staff on and off.
- Liaise with external 3rd party studios to ensure proper post pipeline set-up and processes for UHD/HDR master delivery and QC.
- Liaise with external vendors and make sure the Producer and Director's vision is understood by external partners. These may include but are not limited to: Graphic Artists, VFX Supervisors, Animators, Story Board Artists, Sound designers and Composers.
- Keep a database of external vendors in all the above categories and continue to grow our pool of diverse vendors.
- Secure bids from out-of-house vendors for audio mixing, visual effects, color correction, close captioning, quality control review, and others.
- Partner with Production Management in onboarding vendors with Sesame’s Accounts Payable department.
- In conjunction with Production Management and IT establish efficiencies to properly tag and log all digital assets with metadata that supports cross-departmental access to the content using the new data tracking system, Risetime.
- Communicate delivery schedules and escalate delivery challenges as appropriate to Production, Production Management and Finance.
- Partner with Production Management in tracking and assembling all final wrap and paper deliverables (beyond video & audio elements) as required by SW and Distribution partners. Maintaining appropriate database and delivery systems to enable this deliverable.
- Regularly attend recurring meetings with Sesame Workshop’s distribution partners. Create relationships with Distribution partners and stay informed of their evolving Post needs and specs.
- Supply advanced notice to the IT department of changes taking place in production as well as Post-Production when they involve new technology. Partner with the Director of Production Technology and the Production Teams.
- Plan for future hardware and software needs for new computers, storage systems, and archiving mechanisms and communicate needs to IT, Tech Ops and Production management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 10 or more years supervising a Post-Production team
- Expert knowledge of production and Post-Production workflows
- Working knowledge of Adobe creative suite and other standard editorial software
- Experience with budget oversight
- Experience with external partnership management
- Ability to prioritize and operate under tight deadlines
- Ability to manage a team and quickly onboard new hires
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity