Director, Buiness Development - LATAM
International Media Business: Latin America | Mexico City, Mexico | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Director of Business Development for Sesame Street in Mexico and LATAM. Core areas of focus include, but not limited to, media distribution, consumer products, themed entertainment (theme parks, live events, etc.) and formal education content and services. This role will also support the VP and Managing Director LATAM on administrative and social impact initiatives consistent with Sesame’s mission of helping kids grow Smarter, Stronger, Kinder.
The right candidate will be based in Mexico. Reporting to the VP & General Manager, Mexico, this dynamic role will manage and/or support across all aspects of the business in the region, focusing primarily on media distribution, consumer products, brand licensing, and themed entertainment (theme parks, live events, etc.) and formal education.
The Director, Business Development will be partly responsible for opening the Sesame Workshop Mexico office and managing all day-to-day operations in the country. This Director will operate contact, helping manage all local partners, and identify new partnerships and business opportunities to scale the Sesame Street business.
The Director will also liaise regularly with their colleagues at Sesame Workshop’s HQ in NYC, including the VP and Head of Business Development for Sesame Workshop International. The right candidate will be expected to create business growth strategies and tactical plans to achieve them, and then execute on them.
This new position will work with the GM of Mexico, HQ marketing teams in NYC and philanthropy teams scattered across LATAM to leverage and adapt Sesame’s extensive media asset library to increase awareness and appeal in the local market and generate new commercial business opportunities and successful partnerships across the business ecosystem including distribution, consumer products, themed entertainment (theme parks, live events, etc.) and formal education.
- Create and execute a new media/distribution strategy for Sesame Street in Mexico and LATAM
- Oversee all media client negotiations
- Manage media client relationships
- Oversee current commercial partners to maximize Sesame’s brand awareness and drive revenue
- Work productively with Sesame’s licensing agencies to drive revenue growth across all product categories
- Work directly with retailers and licensees to increase consumer reach and awareness via traditional retail and e-commerce solutions
- Work productively with ‘Sesame’s partners and drive revenue growth and identify new areas for products and services
- Work productively with Sesame Street’s theme park partners to increase brand awareness, engagement, and earned revenues from merchandise
- Work with partner to identify and create new revenue streams within the parks
- Cultivate new commercial relationships across Sesame’s business ecosystem and new industry sectors
- Identify new, incremental growth areas for Sesame Workshop in Mexico
- Target and develop new partner relationships
- Analyze and structure new partnerships to support overall growth objectives
- Lead strategic, financial, and legal due diligence, track results of new ventures, and provide ongoing partner support and management
- Maintain up-to-date, in-depth understanding of market trends and players, continually assessing business models and best practices
- Support Education and Social Impact initiatives in coordination with Regional GM and other NYC HQ subject matter experts
- Support education programs related to Sesame Street curriculum in schools
- Identify opportunities for growth in education-related licensed products (learning toys, eLearning, apps)
- Manage local office and provide GM Mexico with day-to-day operational and strategic support for region
- Bachelor's Degree in related areas related to the position / MBA preferred
- Seasoned negotiator with 10+ years overseeing IP licensing and/or Media property
- Demonstrated ability to drive year on year revenue and reach growth
- Proven track record of exceptional partner and relationship management skills
- Strategic thinker able to view the market and the Sesame business holistically, extremely organized, and disciplined, while also a tactical executor
- Well-established personal network of contacts throughout the core areas of business
- Excellent presentation skills for client-facing sales
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, as well as a high degree of numeracy
- Team player, with the ability to drive consensus-building and influence with colleagues and partners
- Sensibility to balance Sesame’s mission to ‘Help Kids Grow Smarter, Stronger and Kinder,’ with the need for sustainable and responsible commercial growth
- Available to travel as needed, including once per quarter to NYC headquarters
- Must have the legal right to work in Mexico
About Sesame Street Mexico
Sesame Street has a rich history in Mexico. The program launched on Televisa Education in 1972, where it aired for decades. We produced a completely original local version of Sesame Street together with Televisa. Today, our iconic characters have nearly 100% household awareness, and we operate a growing licensing business. Sesame is currently airing in TV Azteca. We are also well established in themed entertainment, with a fully-branded Sesame area at Selva Magica Park in Guadalajara.
Beyond commercial activities, Sesame Workshop has multiple social impact projects in Mexico and the rest of LATAM. Our flagship impact program is the Dream Save Do project, in partnership with MetLife, teaching children how to plan for their financial future.
Sesame Workshop is committed to its continued long-term growth and development in the Latin American market and plans to open its first office in Mexico in 2022.
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the non-profit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We are educators, creators, researchers, moms, dads, caregivers, and friends. We are a community of 400+ people with an amazing network of global partners who are passionate about one thing: helping children.
We’re present in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of non-profit and commercial businesses across media, formal education, consumer products, themed entertainment, and philanthropically funded social impact programs. Through our globally beloved characters, we provide almost two hundred million children with access to life-changing early education, critical health lessons, and helpful tools for tough situations.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity