Director, Board Relations
Strategic Planning | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Director, Board Relations. Working closely with Sesame’s CEO and senior leadership team, the Director of Board Relations will be responsible for effective planning, facilitation and engagement of Sesame Workshop’s Board of Directors, as well Global Advisory and Leadership Council.
This role reports to the SVP, Head of Strategy and Social Impact & Philanthropy Operations. The role will work alongside and in conjunction with the EVP & General Counsel and Secretary to the Board) as well as Manager of Board Operations to manage Board meetings, onboardings and communications.
The successful candidate will have at least five years of progressively increasing leadership experience in managing a medium-to-large board. They will have a proven track record in shaping and developing organizational narratives for nonprofit boards, an understanding of how best to prepare and present information for very busy leaders, meticulous attention to detail, an ability to proactively anticipate needs and requirements and diplomatic skills to develop strong relationships both internally and externally. The ideal candidate will ideally also have some fundraising and donor stewardship experience.
- Serve as the primary facilitator and project manager for Board and related committee presentations, advisory and council activities (including Sesame’s Global Advisory and Leadership Council)
- Provide thought partnership and executive support for CEO and Board Chair (agenda-setting, working with administrative staff to schedule meetings, etc.)
- Support creation of all Board of Trustees, Global Advisory and Leadership Council meeting materials including agendas, presentations, and board books
- In conjunction with the General Counsel and the Manager of Board Operations, manage organizational communications to the Board through the constant collection of information and updates from across Sesame Workshop, including maintenance of Board Orientation materials
- Provide strategic advice and support senior leadership staff assigned to a Board committee (including production of briefing materials and tracking follow-up items from each Board Meeting and Board Committee) to ensure that meetings are planned for in a timely manner and run with efficiency
- Assist in coordinating logistics for full Board, committee, Global Advisory and Leadership Council meetings, working with Sesame administrative and events staff. Coordinate with philanthropic development staff, outside vendors, facilities personnel, and others, as needed
- Ensure that the CEO has material and information needed for Board meetings and interaction with trustees
- Anticipate needs, and in coordination with the Manager of Board Operations and the General Counsel, proactively address any trustee, Advisory or council member questions or concerns in a timely fashion
- Support the Board Nominating Committee to identify, surface and manage Board member prospecting opportunities
- Work with Sesame Workshop CEO, General Counsel and Chief Development Officer to develop and manage a comprehensive trustee and Leadership Council onboarding and orientation plan
- In conjunction with the General Counsel, conduct briefing and overview of Sesame Workshop board and trustees for new senior leadership team hires
- Partner with the Philanthropic Development team senior member on fundraising and cultivation/stewardship events throughout the year
- Support broader strategy team efforts as time and bandwidth allow
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 7 years of demonstrated experience in increasingly responsible management roles, preferably in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Master’s degree in public policy, non-profit management, business or related field is a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience working with senior-level executives and board members, in board relations or executive communications capacity.
- Detail-oriented and organized; ability to be a self-starter and to multi-task and project management in a deadline-pressured environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including structuring and drafting strategic presentations for the Board.
- Must be a strong team player with excellent diplomatic skills.
- A problem-solver when the answers aren’t always obvious.
- Ability to exercise a high level of professionalism, discretion, diplomacy and judgment, as well as handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Advanced computer skills in all Microsoft programs, including PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Boardvantage and CRM / Salesforce preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity