Communications & Marketing Manager, Humanitarian Programs
Strategic Communications | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Communications & Marketing Manager, Humanitarian Programs. We seek a passionate and collaborative individual to manage communications and marketing related activities for our humanitarian initiative to bring early childhood education to families affected by displacement, with a focus on our program in the Syrian response region, Ahlan Simsim. The position is based in New York City.
The Communications & Marketing Manager will be tasked with coordinating communications across a wide range of internal and external audiences and seeking out opportunities to achieve the strategic communications goals of the project. In close coordination with the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, Senior Manager of Marketing, and Managing Director of Ahlan Simsim, the Manager will support communications, marketing, and events-related needs for Ahlan Simsim, including writing messaging and talking points, designing presentations, maintaining creative asset libraries, identifying and executing storytelling opportunities, and providing administrative and organizational support. The Manager will also coordinate closely with Sesame Workshop’s humanitarian programs in other regions to advance communications needs for our broader humanitarian objectives, in close collaboration with the humanitarian advocacy team.
The Communications & Marketing Manager will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications in close coordination with the Senior Marketing Manager and the Managing Director of Ahlan Simsim.
- Assist the Strategic Communications Senior Director and Senior Marketing Manager in drafting and coordinating the approval of talking points, messaging, newsletters, blog posts, social media posts, and other public-facing materials about Ahlan Simsim and Sesame’s humanitarian programs more broadly for a variety of internal and external audiences, including the general public, media, partners, funders, boards, and other key stakeholders
- Manage the program’s communications strategy, leveraging awareness days and project milestones to raise the profile of Ahlan Simsim and Sesame’s humanitarian work more broadly
- Coordinate closely with Comms and Marketing colleagues at the IRC (key implementation partner), NYU (research partner), and the MacArthur Foundation and LEGO Foundation (primary funders) to advance the communications and marketing objectives of the program, identify compelling communications opportunities, and meet communications-related funder deliverables
- Work with the Strategic Communications Director to proactively pitch stories about Ahlan Simsim and Sesame’s humanitarian work, vet incoming PR requests, and supply assets to press
- Develop compelling presentations for Sesame Workshop senior executives and core team members as they present our humanitarian work at high-level events, conferences, and partner or funder meetings (including drafting talking points and creating accompanying well-designed PowerPoint presentations)
- Manage the execution of in-region PR/Marketing activities that support tune-in and brand-building for the Ahlan Simsim show, in coordination with Sesame Workshop colleagues and in-region consultants
- Manage the development and update of creative assets, including project style guide, promotional materials, mission photography, behind-the-scenes assets, fact sheets, templates, and event-related collateral
- Create and maintain a resource center that staff organization-wide can use to serve their individual needs, including talking points, style guides, graphics, and photography/video assets
- Ensure consistent branding and messaging about the project across all communications channels and with all partners
- In close coordination with Events and Advocacy teams, identify, organize, and vet speaking requests; make recommendations on participation, format, and content; coordinate closely with our partners; and support event logistics, including Muppet appearances
- Provide general administrative support related to Communications and Marketing
- 3-5 years of communications and marketing experience with expertise in the non-profit or humanitarian space preferred
- Excellent writer who loves to tell a great story. The ability to copyedit language is essential.
- Strong creative predisposition
- Experience developing strategic communications plans and executing those plans to achieve objectives at both the strategic and tactical levels. Experience working with media outlets preferred.
- Expert in PowerPoint, strong overall computer skills
- Relationship builder with well-developed people skills
- Strong multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills who can pay close attention to detail
- Self-starter who proactively brings new ideas to the table and finds a path to execution
- A real affinity for social impact work and making a difference for children in need
- Arabic language skills strongly preferred
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re active in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically-funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. For more information please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled