Internal Application: Business Development Director, Greater China
International Media Business: China | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is seeking a Business Development Director, Greater China to develop and implement a new long-term strategic vision to help the next generation of children in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan grow up smarter, stronger, and kinder.
Please note: This position will be located in China.
- Develop and execute key business plans in alignment with the overall China strategy across the focus areas of Media Distribution, Consumer Products, Themed Entertainment and Education.
- Identify and secure new strategic business partnerships in all areas of the Sesame Street business with a particular focus on Location-Based Entertainment (LBE) and Content Co-production in the initial phase.
- Develop and maintain relationships with a host of partners in the communities to support business needs, including education communities, social and non-profit organizations and government departments which are meaningful and important to Sesame Workshop.
- Align with key stakeholders to evaluate, move forward and complete partnering opportunities. Negotiate and finalize agreements to build new businesses.
- Manage and cultivate client partnership until new business opportunities are built to full-grown operations.
- Provide intimate insight and knowledge of new markets, trends, opportunities and the key stakeholders for successful growth.
- Bachelor’s Degree or similar experience.
- Bi-lingual in English and Mandarin
- Proven track record developing new business and strategic partnership
- Experience of leading/development of Business Development projects by working with global and cross-function team
- Prior experiences in media and entertainment business is essential.
- Experience with non-profit or socially-oriented for-profit companies a plus
- In-depth knowledge of Mainland and Greater China markets
- Able to meet with and present to C-suite level or leadership team from the client’s side to drive meaningful business conversations
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who can work both independently and as a team member
- Persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills. Ability to balance a variety of internal and external stakeholders and deliver results and outcomes on strict deadlines
- Negotiation experience and understanding of Sesame’s key business drivers:
- Integrity and positive attitude, with a passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
- Working experience in multinational companies preferable
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the non-profit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We are educators, creators, researchers, moms, dads, caregivers, and friends. We are a community of 400+ people with an amazing network of global partners who are passionate about one thing: helping children.
We’re present in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of non-profit and commercial businesses across media, formal education, consumer products, themed entertainment, and philanthropically-funded social impact programs. Through our globally-beloved characters, we provide almost two hundred million children with access to life-changing early education, critical health lessons, and helpful tools for tough situations.
About Sesame Street China
Sesame Workshop China (WFOE) was established in 2013, and currently runs a 10+ person operation in Shanghai with businesses across content distribution, product licensing, and English language education (EFL). Sesame Street China operates as a for-profit entity, with a focus on balancing commercial activity and community outreach.
In 1983, Sesame Workshop partnered with CCTV to create “Big Bird in China,” documenting Big Bird’s first visit to the country. In the decades since, the Muppets have continued to enrich the lives of children throughout the country in countless ways, from leading outreach efforts in places affected by natural disasters to hosting a dazzling education showcase at Shanghai’s 2010 World Expo. The locally developed, Mandarin-language version of Sesame Street debuted in December 2010. More recently, since in 2014, Sesame has partnered with CCTV every year to produce Chinese New Year specials. In 2018, CCTV became the first partner to ever come to NY to shoot on the iconic Sesame Street set CCTV children’s television celebrities came to New York, and shot the special with Elmo, Cookie Monster, Big Bird, and the local Chinese tiger character Lily, on the Sesame Street set. Our partnership with CCTV has since expanded with the broadcast of two US dubbed programs Bert & Ernie Great Adventures and Cookie Crumby Pictures.