Legal | New York, NY | Contract
Sesame Workshop seeks an Associate Counsel to work with paralegals and support staff to manage, draft and track the organization‘s numerous independent contractors and independent contracting needs. Sesame uses independent contractors to provide a range of services and create deliverables in support of many different initiatives, tasks, and programs for many different departments across Sesame Workshop, including Creative Services, Marketing, Communications, Education & Research, Social Impact, Philanthropic Development, Information Technology, Events, and Human Resources. The position would be the dedicated resource for processing and tracking all such contracting requests and be primarily responsible for the timely drafting (directly or indirectly with the assistance of the paralegals) of all independent contractor agreements. The position would also involve reviewing and correcting Statements of Work prepared by internal clients, providing assistance, oversight and support for Sesame Workshop’s anti-piracy efforts, and performing occasional work in support of other areas (e.g., reviewing licensing agreements, doing discrete research projects, etc.).
The Associate Counsel will be part of Sesame Workshop’s Legal & Business Affairs team, along with the General Counsel, seven other attorneys and six support staff members, providing a wide range of legal and business affairs support.
Please note: This is a temporary position, initially scheduled to last about 11 months. There may be an opportunity for the position to be extended after the initial 11-month period.
Approximate Duration: August 2020 – July 2021
Candidates must have substantive transactional legal experience, including both drafting and negotiating commercial contracts as well as prior experience advising clients, with a demonstrated ability to manage, process and complete a consistent flow of contracting work. The position will be primarily responsible for negotiating, reviewing and drafting independent contractor agreements, tracking workflows and advising and managing clients. Intellectual property and licensing background and experience will be given preference.
- JD degree
- Admission to one or more state Bars is mandatory, New York State Bar admission is preferred (Candidate must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York;)
- No less than three (3) year but not more than 5 years relevant post-law school experience required functioning as an attorney
- A background working with non-profit and/or social impact-based matters is also a strong plus
- Prior experience drafting and reviewing independent contractor agreements is a prerequisite
- Prior in-house experience a plus, but not required
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, creative and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and the ability to adapt quickly to new technology platforms
- Familiarity with eDocs, Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams, Word, and Excel systems all strongly preferred. Familiarity with PowerPoint and Nintex an additional plus
The candidate will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel and will receive assignments from other Sesame Workshop attorneys. In addition to the responsibilities listed above, the Associate Counsel may also:
- Review, negotiate and draft various other documents including, cease and desist letters, settlement agreements, collaboration agreements, pre-teaming agreements, vendor agreements and license agreements
- Draft third party correspondence
- Advise internal clients on wide-ranging legal matters
- Provide research and other assistance on various projects as needed
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume. Please specify all directly relevant experience. Incomplete applications and applications failing to meet the above minimum requirements will NOT be accepted or considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful candidates.
The Legal & Business Affairs team is a small, tightly-knit team that embraces freedom and flexibility as a core value. Since Sesame Workshop’s start on television, Sesame Workshop has become a multimedia pioneer, using everything from radio, books, and videos to the latest in interactive media and technology, efforts that are enhanced through collaborations with our colleagues at the ground-breaking research and innovation lab, the Joan Ganz Cooney Center. Sesame Workshop has also expanded significantly on its humanitarian and social impact work, both domestically and abroad, which involves the Legal & Business Affairs team supporting those teams in its legal needs around grants, teaming arrangements, consultants, procurement, research, direct service and compliance. Lastly, Sesame Workshop looks at every opportunity as a chance to build the company we’ve all always wanted to work for and invite you to join us.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity