Legal | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop seeks an Associate Counsel to work with paralegals and support staff to manage, draft and track the organization‘s numerous independent contractors and short-term/temp contracting needs. Sesame uses independent contractors to provide a range of services and create deliverables in support of many different initiatives, tasks, and programs for many different departments across Sesame Workshop, including Creative Services, Marketing, Communications, Education & Research, Social Impact, Philanthropic Development, Information Technology, Events and Human Resources. The position would be the dedicated resource for processing and tracking all such contracting requests and be primarily responsible for the timely drafting (directly or indirectly with the assistance of the paralegals) of all independent contractor agreements. The position would also involve reviewing and correcting Statements of Work prepared by internal clients, providing assistance, oversight and support for Sesame Workshop’s anti-piracy efforts, and performing occasional work in support of other areas (e.g., reviewing licensing agreements, doing discrete research projects, etc.).
The Associate Counsel will be part of Sesame Workshop’s in-house Legal & Business Affairs team, along with the General Counsel, seven other attorneys and seven support staff members, providing a wide range of legal and business affairs support and services for the organization. The candidate will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel and will receive assignments from other Sesame Workshop attorneys.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, the Associate Counsel may also:
- Review, negotiate and draft various other documents including, cease and desist letters, settlement agreements, collaboration agreements, pre-teaming agreements, vendor agreements, and license agreements
- Draft third-party correspondence
- Advise internal clients on wide-ranging legal matters
- Provide research and other assistance on various projects as needed
Candidates should have substantive transactional legal experience, including both drafting and negotiating commercial contracts as well as prior experience advising clients, with a demonstrated ability to manage, process and complete an ongoing consistent flow of contracting work. The position will be primarily responsible for negotiating, reviewing and drafting independent contractor agreements, tracking workflows and advising and managing clients. Intellectual property and licensing background and experience will be given preference.
- JD degree
- Admission to one or more state Bars is required. New York State Bar admission is preferred (Candidate must be in good standing)
- 1+ years of relevant experience is strongly preferred
- Prior experience drafting and reviewing independent contractor agreements is a strong plus
- Prior in-house experience a plus, but not required
- A background working with non-profit and/or social impact-based matters is a plus
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, creative and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and ability to adapt quickly to new technology platforms
- Familiarity with eDocs, Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams, Word, and Excel systems all strongly preferred. Familiarity with PowerPoint and Nintex an additional plus
- Writing sample may be required upon request
ABOUT SESAME WORKSHOP
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street which reaches 156 million children across more than 150 countries. The Workshop’s mission is to use the educational power of media to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. Delivered through a variety of platforms, including television programs, digital experiences, books and community engagement, its research-based programs are tailored to the needs of the communities and countries they serve. For more information, visit us at www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity