Administration | Washington, DC | Full Time
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Senior/Staff Accountant is a key position within the Finance Office who reports to the Accounting Manager. The Senior Accountant is the primary position for maintaining and controlling the General Ledger accounts, recording business transactions of the organization, and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and analytical work and thorough review of financial records. This position is also the primary for payroll processing, and must be familiar with OMB and other grant reporting requirements for proper approval and allocation of expenses and payroll. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist the fiscal team with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department, including regular communication with the Accounting Manager to ensure proper coding of expenses and cash receipts.
- Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures, and in conjunction with OMB requirements for Federal grants.
- Manage the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and maintaining updated postings to the general ledger, in conjunction with the Accounting Manager and Development staff.
- Review and process Credit Card reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on monthly basis. Review daily credit card receipt submissions for proper documentation.
- Perform the recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
- Perform general ledger accounts analysis and certain general ledger account reconciliations.
- Process payroll and reconcile each pay period; maintain close communication with HR to ensure the proper processing of benefits, rates, garnishments, and other related payroll issues.
- Ensure accurate and complete information in order for payroll service to complete quarterly payroll reports, as well as annual reports (Forms W-2 and W-3, Forms 941, State Unemployment reporting, Forms 1099 for subcontractors paid in payroll system, etc.)
- Maintain vendor files in Account Payable modules to ensure that all data is accurate and ready for 1099 reporting, as well as Form 1099 preparation
- Ensure proper documentation for vendors regarding contract submissions and completed W-9 forms
- Review and audit all travel reimbursements to ensure that travel reimbursements adhere to SBY’s travel and expense policy and procedures; maintain Metro card and token inventory by cost center
- Calculate and record monthly fringe benefit allocations and indirect cost allocations.
- Process monthly grant billings for grant funded projects.
- Reconcile quarterly payment systems to grant billings/reporting.
- Prepare periodic financial reports in compliance with grant requirements.
- Assist with SBY and individual program budget development.
- Assist in annual A-133 audit as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Associates degree in Accounting with related experience required
- 2-5 years of related accounting experience plus additional experience, if combined with Associates degree. Non-profit accounting experience preferred
- Demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge of accounting concepts, practices and procedures;
- Demonstrated proficiency in using a personal computer, including knowledge and skill in the use of the Windows operating system and pertinent software applications such as:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- General Ledger and other accounting software for a medium sized corporation, Abila/MIP software preferred.
- Online payroll software, Ceridian preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Adept at efficient multi-tasking while maintaining a high quality work product
- A high degree of integrity, accountability, energy and flexibility
Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc. is also committed to comply with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.