Residential Facility Occasional Support Workers
Sasha Bruce Youthwork | Washington, DC | Full Time and Part Time
About Our Organization:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
The Occasional Workers are responsible for providing direct services to residential clients, including monitoring individual, referrals and crisis intervention in various residential programs based on staff needs. All services are aimed at maximizing the client’s progress towards a supported lifestyle. The Occasional Worker is expected to participate fully in training offered by the agency and to integrate this training into their work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform house/office coverage, maintain control and continuous supervision of clients, enforce house rules, and monitor house for cleanliness and safety.
- Makes regular house check, inspecting inside the building and in the area immediately outside, and check individual rooms when necessary.
- Maintain all necessary records, including but not limited to legible, comprehensive and accurate reports of house activities in the house log.
- Provides crisis intervention and on-site counseling.
- Provide the Program Director with timely and accurate documentation of all services provided, including client progress reports and reports of problems that require immediate attention.
- Maintain familiarity with local services (both within and outside the Agency) that might serve as resources and identify those client needs which require outside referrals, including, but not limited to: health care mental health care, educational services/schools, alcohol and drug abuse treatment and education, big siblings/mentors, sex education and AIDS prevention.
- Provide appropriate referrals.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Meet for regular supervision with the Program Director/Clinical Coordinator.
- Participate in all SBY training & in-services and any other training identified by the Program Director or Clinical Coordinator.
- Initiate and implement special projects/activities that will benefit the residents.
- Carry out emergency fire evacuation, and emergency procedures in case of an illness or
- Record all phone calls and visitors in the log.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelors Degree with 3 years of experience in the human service delivery field or a High School Diploma with 5 years of experience in the human service delivery field, working with adolescents/young adults.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with individuals and families in difficult situations to help empower them to take on their challenges successfully.
- Must possess a strong sense of personal responsibility, be driven, flexible, and able to communicate effectively with diverse or with difficult to engage populations.
Reporting to the Program Manager, this is a full time or part time position. All candidates are required to pass required DC clearances (and other states as applicable) and provide any additional information regarding previous records.