Overnight Residential Counselor
Bruce House | Washington, DC | Full Time
About Our Organization:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
The Overnight Residential Counselor is responsible for monitoring the safety and conduct of house residents, and providing clinical and crisis intervention as needed within Bruce House, a 24-hour short-term crisis residential facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the reporting, planning and implementation of the weekend activity schedule.
- Makes regular house check inspections inside the building and in the area immediately outside, and checks individual rooms when necessary.
- Maintains all necessary records, including but not limited to, legible, comprehensive and accurate reports of house activities in the house log.
- Provides crisis intervention and on-site counseling.
- Carry out emergency fire evacuation, and emergency procedures in case of an illness or accident.
- Provides office coverage, answer and record all phone calls and visitors, maintain supervision of the house, enforce house rules and ensure house safety.
- To the extent possible, participates in training provided or recommended by the Agency.
- Participates in regular supervision with program director.
- Attends and participates in monthly all- staff meetings and other meetings/activities identified by the program director.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED with 2 to 3 years’ relevant experience in Human Services or related field (preferably working with adolescents/young adults).
Reporting to the Program Director, this is a full-time, non-exempt level position with an overnight evening schedule. All candidates must possess a valid Driver’s License, pass the required DC clearances (and other states as applicable) and provide any additional information regarding previous records, if necessary.