Managing Director, Human Resources
Sasha Bruce Youthwork | Washington, DC | Part Time
About Our Organization:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
The Managing Director, Human Resources serves as the senior administrative leader of SBY’s HR systems and strategies, ensuring that operations are optimized to support the organization’s mission and staff. The Managing Director oversees all aspects of human resources administration of Sasha Bruce Youthwork and advises the organization’s senior leadership team on departmental initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership over SBY’s human resources operations in all functional areas, including: employment policies, recruiting, workforce planning, onboarding, offboarding, employee relations, talent management/development, compensation, training, employee benefits and performance management.
- Serves as the principal advisor on all issues related to human resources and is responsible for Organizational Development, working closely with managers and staff to address their needs, structure and role clarity.
- Plays a key role in the strategic planning process and provides strategic advice and guidance to the Executive Director and other senior management team members; articulates SBY’s strategy and as an operational expert on its translation into day-to-day activities within and across departments.
- Supports the Executive Director in assessing individual and team strengths, identifying skills gaps, and refining staffing plans to build SBY’s internal capacity.
- Manages the HR team, provides guidance, leadership and coaching.
- Serves as the leading authority on employee relations and disciplinary actions and coaches managers and leadership on these issues.
- Oversees the Director of HR on addressing employee relations issues, provides guidance, ensures thoroughness in investigations and reporting and offers final decision making on disciplinary actions.
- Coordinates with the finance team on the preparation of the annual operating budget.
- Manages associated vendor relationships and contracts; annual renewals and assessing benefits and costs.
- Oversees the Director of HR in the performance management process, guides managers on performance improvement plans and other performance related actions including promotions and job changes.
- Actively participates in the weekly Senior Management Team meetings.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required, Master’s strongly preferred.
- A strong background in human resources and at least 10 years’ experience in senior management roles, preferably in a non-profit, required.
- Experience managing HR and administration functions for a medium-sized organization;
- Demonstrated ability to guide and collaborate with a high-level leadership team.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with appropriate sensitivity, discretion, and professionalism;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy;
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, judgment, and problem-solving skills.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this is a Part-time (25-30 hours a week), Exempt level position.