Lead Tester/Care Counselor for POWER
Operations | Washington, DC | Full Time
About Our Organization:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain training and certification as a Choosing Life: Empowerment; Action; Results (CLEAR) counselor as required
- Serve as lead to partner with recruited youth to develop individual service/behavior change plans
- Provide weekly advanced level skills building and case management sessions for individual clients (including family members and/or partners)
- Oversee and deliver individual HIV/STI education and risk reduction counseling and refer and facilitate clients ability to obtain medical care/treatment, mental health services, and other social services
- Assess and recruit youth to participate in health education sessions covering HIV prevention, sexual health, and other sexual health precautionary methods as needed
- Research, recruit and establish new HIV testing venues in the community and coordinate 3-5 outreach/ testing events in collaboration with other staff members
- Complete session documentation and prepare monthly records of referral efficacy and other client contacts and service exit information as needed
- Document and monitor services provided according to program’s quality assurance standards and prepare and submit monthly reports in a timely manner
- Lead the Outreach team in community outreach using SBY’s Street Outreach van. This may include occasional late evening hours.
- Participate in events and trainings hosted by the agency and as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Education or related field preferred and/or 4 years experience with similar responsibilities required.
- Must have knowledge of adolescent sexual health matters sufficient to sustain program requirements and have HIV testing and counseling certification.
- Experience working with high-risk youth on HIV/AIDS education and knowledge of social service programs available to youth is essential.
- Ability to obtain and sustain various clearances required for the program, a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation a must.
Knowledge and Skills Preferred:
- History of establishing connections with LGBTQ youth.
- HIV testing Certification preferred.