Housekeeper - Residential and Office
Operations | Washington, DC | Full Time
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for keeping multiple buildings and facilities clean for employees and residents of Sasha Bruce.
- Duties include mopping and waxing floors, emptying trash, washing walls and glass, overall sanitization, cleaning snow, ice, or related debris from affected areas, and performing routine maintenance activities. Will also dust, sweep and mop common areas, clean and sanitize doors, mirrors and walls; replenish supplies, clean microwaves, coffee machines, refrigerator; routinely check all electrical appliances, and clean water fountains and other appliances, empty trash cans and replace liners, clean receptacles as necessary, dust, clean and polish office desks, computers, copy machines, picture frames, and furniture, and maintain janitor closets in a clean, organized and safe manner.
- Perform general maintenance of grounds during normal and inclement weather.
- Open and close office doors; ensure doors are locked during normal and after business operating hours.
- Maintain janitorial equipment in a clean, safe and operable condition, follow supervisor’s directions for proper use of all chemicals, wear proper personal protective equipment at all times.
- Will perform minor repairs and will notify management of need for major repairs.
- Required to provide janitorial and cleaning services and coverage during scheduled and unscheduled leave of co-workers and on an ad-hoc basis.
- Issue supplies and equipment according to established budget.
- Respond to requests and addresses any issues.
- Requisition cleaning supplies and equipment and respond to Facility Manager as mandated.
- Understand and comply with safety and compliance while using chemicals and electrical equipment.
- Responsible to be considered “on-call” and available for emergency housekeeping and facility operations before and after normal work hours.
- Must adhere to other duties as assigned in a collaborative, efficient, and willing manner at the request of immediate supervisor, staff, and senior leadership, and other SBY constituents, and perform other routine maintenance duties as requested.
- At least one and preferred 3+ year/s of experience in janitorial or custodial work.
- Prior experience with maintenance repairs and handling custodial equipment, supplies, and material required.
- Bilingual- Spanish and English, preferred
- Able to provide own tools
- Reliable transportation between facilities
- Must have the ability to perform duties independently and adhere to and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to gain and sustain various background and clearance checks.
- Ability to stand, lift, and manage equipment in the amount of 20 to 25 pounds.
- Great customer service skills, multitasking and knowledge of janitorial technical skills highly desired.