Community Engagement Specialist (Part-time)
Sasha Bruce Youthwork | Washington, DC | Part Time
About Our Organization:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is one of the largest and most experienced providers of services to youth in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and/or at-risk youth and their families in the Washington, DC area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training, and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the growing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen and ready to help.
The Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for making contact with homeless runaway and disconnected youth and young adults in the Washington DC community and for networking to build bridges between youth served and the business community in which SBY programs are located. This person will build strong relationships with community stakeholders, residents and government agencies, and respond to critical incidents as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts daily outreach to maintain steady influx of clients and contacts within the District homeless youth population.
- Participates in team based approach to working with hard to serve youth and young adults.
- Provides crisis intervention and triage case management services.
- Creates and disseminates safety kits, hygiene kits, and resource packs/cards for homeless youth.
- Seeks out and obtains SBY and community services for the partnership endeavors.
- Establishes and maintains community contacts and networking for the project and SBY
- Assists in all new development and activity with the partnership.
- Provides the Program Director with timely and accurate documentation of all services provided, including client progress reports, court reports, Unusual Incident Reports, and case notes.
- Completes all reporting procedures and necessary documenting for the project.
- Represents SBY at community meetings as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree OR high school diploma/GED with 5 years direct human services experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid Drivers License and clean driving record.
- Ability to work with troubled youth and families in crisis.
- Must have strong written and oral communications skills
- Must have demonstrated experience in conflict management and de-escalation strategies
Reporting to the Program Director, this is a part-time (20 hours) non-exempt position. Continuation of this position is dependent on continued funding of this project by HHS, the District or alternate funding sources.