R&D Program Developer Internship
Engineering Operations | Nairobi, Kenya | Internship
Sanergy is a social venture building a sustainable sanitation network throughout Nairobi's slums. A dense system of clean, comfortable, and secure “Fresh Life” sanitation centers are run by local entrepreneurs. Sanergy collects, aggregates and processes the waste daily creating valuable bi-products. To date, Sanergy has launched 115 Fresh Life Toilets to 61 entrepreneurs, created 122 jobs, removed 200 metric tons of waste from the community, and served over 1 million customers with hygienic sanitation. Sanergy is growing rapidly and is looking for talented and dedicated team members to grow along with the company.
Role & Responsibilities:
Sanergy will be releasing the “Fresh Life v2“ sanitation center in mid-2013. The new toilet design will require new manufacturing processes and employee capacity building internally. We are in the process of creating a R&D facility to handle new construction processes, development of new products, as well as to serve external partners with special projects. The shop will act both as a working production shop and training center for our employees.
The R&D Facility Development Associate is a short-term position ranging from 4-6 months. The position will focus largely on the layout, set-up, and implementation of the facility while also developing a curriculum for systematically training Sanergy employees on tool use, safety procedures, shop maintenance and general shop protocols. In addition the curriculum will aim to teach design principles, problem-solving techniques, and craft oriented skill sets.
· Work with Product Development Manager to plan and construct the R&D Facility
· Develop a plan of attack for the R&D Facility including budget, pilot plan, 5S implementation, and M+E operations
· Develop a training curriculum and execute initial training modules
· Work with shop technicians to enforce and transfer shop maintenance and best practices
· 2+ years of experience in a production shop environment (previous shop technician experience is a plus)
· Experience with many material processes (metal, wood, modeling, etc.) and demonstrated craftsmanship and attention to detail
· Ability to synthesize problem
· Ability to manage projects, direct activities, and delegate tasks appropriately
· Experience with curriculum development is a plus
Leadership / Personality Qualities
· Ability to communicate effectively and lead others through change and new strategic initiatives
· Determination to seize opportunities and take initiative as appropriate
· Ability to teach hands-on skills and techniques to individuals with a wide range of experience
· Relationship building and rapport skills
· Strong influencing and networking skills
· Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
· Minimum 2+ years of technical/fabrication/manufacturing experience
· Teaching experience is a plus
· Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within time constraints
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office. CAD and graphic design skills a plus
· Strong desire to add value to a fast growing start-up enterprise and physically shape how the R&D Dept. will operate in the future.
What’s in it for you?
· Experience working in a fast growing social venture
· Chance to have lasting impact on a new and important program
· Exposure to product development in the development and WASH sectors
· Valuable connections to a wide range of experts and partners around the world
· Chance to live and work in Nairobi, Kenya! (Airfare, accommodation, and lunch included)