Business Development | Nairobi, Kenya
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that makes hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban slums for everyone, forever. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life – as small businesses. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste every single day and safely remove it from the community. We convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the byproducts to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, we have launched over 350 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 175 micro-entrepreneurs. We have collected and converted over 1800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of 150 people – 90% Kenyan and 60% from informal settlements.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. In five years, we will quintuple in size, expand to new cities and new countries. To make that happen and continue to innovate on our business model, we will need to raise an ambitious level of funds through a diverse set of funding streams, including family foundations, bilateral and multilaterals, private institutions, NGOs, corporations and investors. We set aggressive growth and partnership strategies and seek a detail-oriented, articulate and concise writer to show funders we are worth supporting.
The grant writer will be a valuable member of our external relations team, which handles partnerships, business development, grant management, communications, government relations, and fellowships. With time, the grant writer will be expected to play a program management role, coordinating smaller grants with unique deliverables, as well as expand the business development team.
- Understand our core business intimately. We are primarily seeking someone with a strong business mind, who is also an excellent writer. The professional funders we work with do not just want smooth prose – they want business rationale and a tailored message. We would work hard to expose the writer to our program operations in depth.
- Seek and analyze strategic funding opportunities. The grant writer will summarize opportunities, brief teammates, and coordinate input on proposals from teammates efficiently. We are a fast-moving organization and we are seeking someone who can respect teammates’ time completing their core responsibilities while meeting funding deadlines.
- Write concept notes and proposals. The grant writer will write concept notes and proposals for the organization. We write for a variety of audiences with various agendas that align with our strategy. Topics include, but are not limited to design, sanitation, hygiene promotion, schools, sanitation marketing, behavior change, youth, gender, public health, livelihoods, entrepreneurship, measuring impact, waste, urine, organic fertilizer, renewable energy, environment, climate change, biogas, biochar, animal feed, chemistry, physics, economics, talent development.
- Develop Budgets. Ability to coordinate teams to align budgets to narratives.
- More writing. We do not just copy and paste. We tailor our materials to the funder and we go after funding that grows our business strategically. Like our Fresh Life toilets and Farm Star organic fertilizer, we want our writing to stand out. Use of visuals, tables, graphics, charts encouraged. We emphasize clear logical flow in our writing.
- Write high-quality updates for funders. Sanergy values our current funders above all others and keeps them closely informed. We often conduct micro projects for specific funders and will allocate responsibility to grant writer to design, coordinate, monitor and deliver these projects.
- Hire, develop, and manage others. In five years, we envision having a significant writing staff. We are looking for someone that ideally could see themselves growing their career with the organization.
The grant writer is at the cutting edge of where our business is going. Our proposals are strategic and interesting to work on. They expose you to and offer the opportunity to contribute to all moving parts of a leading social enterprise, from field operations to high level strategy meetings.
- 2-5 years work experience, preferably in a developing country context
- Powerful writer, excellent communication skill; proposal writing experience not necessarily required
- Ability to consolidate large amounts of technical information into articulate compelling paragraphs.
- Excellent research skills with ability to manager volunteers to do research
- Ability to manage time, keep calm under pressure, navigate several moving parts, meet deadlines with ease, and coordinate to help others meet deadlines with ease.
- Native English speaker, other languages a plus
- Hold a continuous, restless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- Experience in program management, completing deliverables and coordinating teams
- A collaborative mentality and positive attitude;
- Deep-rooted empathy and humility;
- Position available immediately
- This is a full time position based in Nairobi, Kenya
- One year commitment with potential to continue with organization