Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
Saildrone is looking for a Weather Modeler to join our weather team and deploy operational high-resolution forecasts, primarily using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) Model. Our Saildrone fleet continually collects metocean data from around the globe. This is an exciting position handling real-time ocean and atmospheric data from our drone fleet and turning this into actionable insights. You will be joining a team focused on generating, validating and presenting accurate weather forecasts.
- Devise new modeling domains and deploy operational forecasts
- Validate arrays of production-candidate forecasts
- Work with Software Engineers to implement production-ready forecasts
- Partner with the weather team to provide real-time access to running forecasts
- Analyze and customize model output fields per internal and external customer requirements
- Present experimental results both verbally and in writing
- Document modeling configurations in a scientifically reproducible manner
- Be on call to monitor operational forecasts some nights and weekends (shared responsibility)
- Stay on top of evolving techniques and research related to weather forecasting
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Science or Engineering with weather/climate modeling experience
- Solid experience with WRF
- Data assimilation experience is a plus
- Experience with high-performance computing environments
- Ability to automate routine job tasks using Python, shell scripting and Unix/Linux
- Skilled with several plotting libraries (e.g. NCL, Matplotlib, etc…)
- Experience with validation of forecast modeling configurations
- Understanding of geographic information systems (GIS) is a plus
- Experience with Git and Github to maintain scientific integrity
- Competent technical writing skills
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast growing post series-A startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.