Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Horizons Ventures, Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
While Saildrone is deploying leading-edge autonomous infrastructure collecting ocean data on an unprecedented scale, our users want to consume this data through powerful and beautiful experiences (web, mobile or otherwise). We are looking for a talented Designer to own all facets of design: interaction, visual, product and prototyping. The ideal candidate thrives on creating and iterating new ideas quickly and combines a passion for great user experiences with an eye for of beautiful design. This is a unique chance to be part of a multi-disciplinary team working together to bring planetary insights into the hands of users around the globe and impact humanity.
- Lead design thinking at Saildrone from product to brand
- Own wire-framing, prototyping and interface design
- Work closely with our product development team for fast prototyping of new concepts
- Take successful prototypes to production level on accelerated timeframes
- Perform user research to inform new iterations
- Create pixel-perfect mocks and ideas for new features across web and mobile
- Define interaction models, user task flows, and UI specifications
- Concept and implement the visual language evolution of Saildrone
- Produce high-quality visual designs–from concept to execution (icons, graphics, and marketing materials)
- Identify metrics and identify studies to better identify our user's needs
- Be an excellent communicator and design evangelist across our various teams
- Proficiency in graphic design, and UI/UX a must, including wire-framing and storyboarding
- Passion to communicate complex data through delightful and powerful user experiences
- Track record of designing successful user-centric B2C and/or B2B applications
- Domain experience in weather, oceans, games or other complex high-engagement products desirable
- Proficiency in UX motion graphics and digital art, data visualization, a sensitivity to typography and color, a practical grasp of animation or video-editing are all strong pluses
- Advanced expertise in Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, InVision, Origami or other equivalent packages
- Experience with Apple Maps, Google Maps, Mapbox or OpenStreetMap is a plus
- Ability to listen, communicate and work well within and across teams
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Bloomberg - This armada of drones could conquer the oceans
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Adaptable and driven by renewable energy, saildrones voyage into remote waters
The Economist - Sailing the wired seas
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.