U.S. Mid-Atlantic, Department of Defense Sales
Business Development | Washington, DC | Full Time
About the Role
Would you like to drive the Department of Defense (DoD) and U.S. Navy (USN) revenue for a leader in the Unmanned Surface Vehicle (USV) business? Would you like to be part of a team focused on increasing awareness and adoption of SAILDRONE’s technology by engaging with key DoD customers, system integrators and solution providers who are reinventing their Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA), Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), Bathymetry and other Data Services that support naval and defense operations? Do you have the business savvy, government sales, business development, and technical background necessary to help further establish SAILDRONE as a leading autonomous data platform provider?
SAILDRONE’s customers and the successful execution of their missions drive SAILDRONE’s priorities and market focus. To that end, our Sales Team must build those critical customer relationships externally, as well as understand and communicate those customer requirements internally. We are looking for a seasoned Sales Professional to lead SAILDRONE’s USN sales efforts in the Mid-Atlantic United States. The successful candidate will be an independent, strategic professional with a proven sales track record, who possesses excellent communications and relationship building skills to collaborate daily both externally with customers and internally with Mission Management, Product Development and Marketing teams and build connections across the entire SAILDRONE organization. As the Director of the Mid-Atlantic Region - DoD with primary focus on US Navy Sales, you will have the opportunity to help shape and deliver on a strategy to build customer mindshare and broad use of SAILDRONE’s USV technology and/or systems. Your expansive responsibilities will include developing and delivering a growing book of business across the USN. You will lead development of new business and help to define, identify, pursue, and close Mission-as--Service (MaaS), Data-as-a-Service (DaaS) and other new business opportunities at an accelerated rate.
You will establish deep business and strategic relationships through your knowledge of the customer’s mission and the environment. You will have day-to-day interactions with Navy System, Type and Numbered Fleet Commands. The ideal candidate will possess both a business background that enables them to drive an engagement and interact at senior military and civilian levels, as well as a technical background that enables them to easily interact with flag staff officers, contracting officials, intel analysts, operators, planners and data security personnel. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about mission, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions.
- 15+ years experience in a business development/sales and/or strategy position, selling directly to U.S. DoD customers – U.S. Navy Sales experience is preferred
- 3+ years of exceeded performance based business incentives and exceeding sales quota
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Experience in U.S. Government contracting and an understanding of government acquisition mechanisms and cycles
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate longstanding, trusted relationships – both with SAILDRONE’s Customers, as well as internal to the company
- Reside in Washington D.C. Metroplex and have a willingness to travel in that area on a regular basis
- Demonstrated ability to generate and close deals independently, as well an ability to exercise good judgment and seek support when needed
- Team player with long-term company growth in mind
- Active listening skills
- Highly ethical business practices
- Demonstrated ability to sell evolving products
- Excellent presentation and client management skills
- An ability to drive initiatives from start to finish, working both alone and within teams
- Advanced Educational Degree (Masters or higher), with experience in Maritime Domain Awareness, Bathymetry and/or Oceanography is preferred.
- Self-motivated with a great sense of urgency and follow-through
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance
SAILDRONE designs, manufactures and operates wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective, high-resolution ocean data collection possible at scale. As a data provider, we are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Horizons Ventures, Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation. SAILDRONE is a Global business enterprise and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
• Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
• Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
• Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
• Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
• Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
• Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.