Staff Mechanical Design Engineer
Hardware Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $170,000.00 to $190,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021".
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
- Mentor mechanical design engineers and guide design decisions to accurately fulfill design criteria and to deliver against business goals.
- Impart experience to the engineering team on how to holistically evaluate and deliver upon design requirements and system constraints, including when to pursue changes of those requirements.
- Participate in design reviews and deliver feedback based on known engineering solutions and previous personal experience.
- Perform new or double-check existing structural analyses and tolerance analyses for feasibility and producibility.
- Review drawings to ensure that components sent to contract manufacturers will meet requirements.
- Develop CAD and drawing style guides to be followed by the mechanical and manufacturing engineering teams.
- Work with the supply chain and production teams to find gaps in top-level assemblies and BOMs and then work with the engineers to rapidly close them.
Required skills and experience
- Strong mechanical engineering design skills with experience in marine environments.
- Excellence in developing and delivering feedback in a way that achieves technical goals while strengthening the engineering team.
- Good oral and written communication skills, particularly around reading and commenting on design documentation and engineering analyses.
- Mastery of multiple CAD tools and at least one PLM system. Experience with NX is preferred.
- Understanding of a broad set of manufacturing processes, including but not limited to CNC machining, 3D printing, and casting.
- 10+ years doing individual engineering work, with a preference for candidates with vehicular or other mobile platform experience.
- Experience in taking products to market while meeting program schedules.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline (preferably mechanically focused).
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with NX is preferred.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.