Software Engineer - Vehicle
Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We work with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been selected as one of the "Forbes Top 10 Wonders of 2021", as well as the Smithsonian Institute's "Top 10 Ocean Stories of 2021", New York Times' "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021". We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC and St. Petersburg, FL and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You will be responsible for designing and implementing software that runs onboard our Saildrones - to communicate over satellite comms, navigate the ocean as instructed by remote pilots, detect and avoid obstacles on the horizon, and control low level actuators that actually make this all possible. You’ll also work closely with sensor payloads onboard the vehicle - radar and camera systems, oceanographic and bathymetry sensor suites. Saildrones operate in the most challenging environment in the world: our fleet is solar and wind powered, and can be deployed for up to one year without returning to port. These challenges make efficient algorithms a must and require a clear focus on simulation and hardware-in-the-loop testing.
- Experienced with C++
- A background in robotics, autonomous vehicles, or sensing systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills - someone who pairs well with others, and is eager to help guide the technical direction of our software stack, and diligently review other’s code and designs.
- A desire to solve challenging robotics problems
- 2+ years professional experience
- Hands-on experience with autonomous system in perception, planning/control or onboard robotics infrastructure.
- Experience with Python, computer vision, machine learning.
- Experience with ocean science or bathymetry payloads.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Saildrone's Journey Into Category 4 Hurricane Uncovers Clue Into Rapidly Intensifying Storms – FOX Weather (Dec. 16, 2021)
- Saildrone - Hurricane Sam Video - YouTube (Dec. 16, 2021)
- They Sailed Into a Hurricane, Now these Unmanned Saildrones are Seeking Data on Our Carbon Uptake – CNN (Dec. 9, 2021)
- Saildrone Catches a $100M C Breeze to Build More Robo-boats – TechCrunch (Oct. 18, 2021)
- With A Sight, Sound And Radar Picture, Saildrone Could Build An AI Database Of Everything In The Ocean – Forbes (Aug. 16, 2021)
- Changing Arctic Environment Could Also Change Technologies Needed to Protect It, Experts Say – SeaPower Magazine (Aug. 2, 2021)
- Autonomous Research Vehicle Completes Ocean Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii – Hydro International (July 13, 2021)
- Saildrone Featured Videos Playlist
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.