Site Reliability Engineer
Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
As a Saildrone Site Reliability Engineer you will be part of the Technical Infrastructure team and responsible for scaling our infrastructure, improving developer efficiency, building automation and tooling to support both internal and customer facing products. The Saildrone R&D team is passionate about metric based analysis and data driven decision making. As an SRE you will help drive the collection of useful, actionable metrics and influence the architectural decision making process.
Advocate for reliability through testing, documentation, and standard methodologies
Drive standardization across our services and teams to simplify our platform and processes
Maintain production services by measuring and monitoring availability, utilization, and overall system health
Perform root cause analysis to increase the reliability and resilience of systems
Represent the Technical Infrastructure group in cross functional design meetings
Required skills and experience
Excellent technical design and documentation skills
Experience running production workloads on Kubernetes
Fluency in SCM (e.g. GitHub)
Familiarity working with containers (Docker).
Deep experience running production systems on AWS
Strong eye for quality control and attention to detail
Desire skills and experience
Security focused design
Experience with Infrastructure as code tooling such as Packer, Terraform, Ansible, Salt.
Experience with SIEM platforms such as Splunk or ELK.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Saildrones are mapping the oceans (CNET May 2021)
- Gulfstream (April 2021)
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.