Senior Electrical Engineer
Hardware Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $132,500.00 to $212,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, protect, and preserve our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing into the eye of a category 4 hurricane to obtain new data about how storms intensify collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, and counting fish biomass to inform sustainable fishery management, to mapping the ocean floor and reducing illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022”, earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, won “Best Tech For Good” in the 2022 Timmy Awards, and were recognized by Andreessen-Horowitz’s American Dynamism 50 list of the “Top 50 companies kickstarting American renewal. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times’ “21 Things That Happened for the First Time in 2021,” and Popular Science's “100 Greatest Innovations of 2021.”
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
We are seeking a senior electrical engineer who can design embedded systems for a diversifying set of vehicle platforms. You will work to design systems based on SOCs that provide power delivery, monitoring, storage, sensor data ingress, and networking services. In this role you are able to design new system architectures, do schematic capture and layout, work with contract manufacturers, and validate the resulting designs.
This is a broad-spectrum engineering position, where we expect a wide breadth of system design and debugging skills to find and resolve issues. You'll work primarily with other electrical engineers, software engineers, and product managers to build products that fit within stringent power budgets while delivering great utility to customers both internal and external.
This is a very hands-on position that directly impacts our ability to rapidly iterate on hardware design. You’ll be part of a small team of talented folks who are excited to send robots into some of the harshest environments on Earth.
- Focuses on design, testing, or documentation tasks to expand features of the current platform
- Participate in product requirement definition to ensure electrical suitability
- Pick properly rated electrical components that achieve the system design specifications
- Generate detailed schematics and quality PCB layouts in Altium
- Answer and guide system design questions
- Debug current hardware and off-the-shelf components as we add them to the vehicles
- Maintains functionality for multiple assemblies as the responsible engineer
- Leads technical demos and design reviews with cross functional teams
- Mentors junior engineers through pairing on debug, design tasks, and proactive guidance
- Effectively communicates with cross functional teams including technicians, firmware engineers, software engineers, operations, and production managers
Required skills and experience
- 5-8 years of experience in designing electronics that went to full commercial production
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related field
- Additional relevant experience may substitute for a degree
- Schematic capture and board layout in Altium
- Familiarity with analog, mixed-signal, and high-speed design
- Familiarity with wired and wireless communications systems
- Familiarity with magnetic circuits and power conversion
- Ability to purchase and use a broad range of test equipment:
- Programmable power supplies and loads
- Benchtop meters and signal generators
- Spectrum analyzers, amplifiers, field probes, and antennas
- Oscilloscopes, current probes, high speed differential probes
- Static discharge guns and current injection clamps
- Prototyping and debug skills:
- Strong solder rework skills to rapidly test proposed changes to circuitry
- Ability to create wiring diagrams and physically crimp harnesses or coax cables
- Familiarity and ability to apply shielding and filtering materials
- Computing skills needed to operate devices and equipment
- Linux & Python preferred
- Familiarity with correctly interpreting technical documentation and successfully obtaining certification such as FCC, UL Safety, CISPR, or IEC specifications
- Ability to dig into the design details of off-the-shelf components during integration testing
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
Interagency Public-Private Partnership Sends Uncrewed Saildrone to Explore Remote Alaskan Waters - NOAA OER (August 11, 2022)
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
Meet the sailing robots trying to solve climate change – The Hill (Mar. 18, 2022)
They Sailed Into a Hurricane, Now these Unmanned Saildrones are Seeking Data on Our Carbon Uptake – CNN (Dec. 9, 2021)
Saildrone Catches a $100M C Breeze to Build More Robo-boats – TechCrunch (Oct. 18, 2021)
With A Sight, Sound And Radar Picture, Saildrone Could Build An AI Database Of Everything In The Ocean – Forbes (Aug. 16, 2021)
Changing Arctic Environment Could Also Change Technologies Needed to Protect It, Experts Say – SeaPower Magazine (Aug. 2, 2021)
Autonomous Research Vehicle Completes Ocean Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii – Hydro International (July 13, 2021)
Saildrone Featured Videos Playlist
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individual compensation packages are based on geographic location, scope of the role, relevant experience, and the ability to deal with complexity and problem solve within our organization, among other factors
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.