Production Assembly Technician
Production | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $60,000.00 to $95,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, protect, and preserve our world. We provide real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and use proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Our fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate without the need for a crewed support vessel. Saildrone works with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing into the eye of a category 4 hurricane to obtain new data about how storms intensify, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, and counting fish biomass to inform sustainable fishery management, to mapping the ocean floor and reducing illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, Saildrone has been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies, earned an Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, won Best Tech For Good from the Timmy Awards, and was recognized by Andreessen Horowitz’s American Dynamism 50 list of the Top 50 Companies Kickstarting American Renewal. Our first-annual Atlantic hurricane mission with NOAA was included as one of The New York Times’ 21 Things That Happened for the First Time in 2021 and Popular Science's 100 Greatest Innovations of 2021.
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC and St. Petersburg, FL, and operate our missions worldwide. Saildrone is backed by top-tier investors in the frontier tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You will be a member of our Production Team, assembling and rebuilding subsystems that are part of our Saildrone designed ocean going vehicles. These subsystems will include cameras, actuators, and battery systems. The job will be varied, including soldering, harness assembly, mechanical assembly, and testing. It may involve a one off prototype or a production batch.
The right person will have hands-on experience with mechanical and electronic assembly in a prototype lab or small scale production teams. You will be enthusiastic about learning new things and solving problems.
You should be able to interpret and follow engineering drawings, wiring diagrams and work instructions. You are well organized around your workspace with inventory and tools. You take pride in building things of high quality and seeing them work. You like being part of a team that is building new and exciting things.
Required Skills and Experience
- 3 + years of experience and a degree or certification in a technical field, preferably electronics, or demonstrated knowledge of things electrical and mechanical.
- Experience in assembling electro-mechanical systems, harnessing, and testing to prove they work in a lab or production environment.
- Demonstrate that you work to a high degree of quality and good speed.
- Ability to read and follow work instructions, engineering assembly drawings, and bills of materials.
- Good communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to both work independently and also in teams.
- Working on site at our Alameda production facility.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in building new product prototypes.
- Fabrication experience: mill/lathe work, welding, 3D printing.
- Simple software experience: Linux command line work, file transfers, software setup.
- Experience writing work instructions and process documentation.
- Experience working with inventory systems and work process systems like Jira.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand, walk, use hands to grasp, push and pull, bend, lift up to 50 lbs, and reach with your hands and arms.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
A reasonable estimate of the current range is $60,000-$95,000 annually.
Catch up on the latest news about us:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individual compensation packages are based on geographic location, scope of the role, relevant experience, and the ability to deal with complexity and problem solve within our organization, among other factors
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.