Product Management | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
Saildrone is a looking for an experienced Product Manager to work with our Engineering and Leadership teams and ensure we ship great transformative products that impact humanity. You will be instrumental in defining the long-term vision and strategy for our data-driven end-user products and communicating this strategy across teams and stakeholders. The ideal candidate is both an outstanding product strategist and a strong communicator. You will help define our software product roadmap, constantly exploring the “why” behind the products we are building and working with our various teams to detail the "how" we will get there. Then you will combine your passion, expertise and relentless work to ensure we do.
- Work with our software engineering and leadership teams to ship great products
- Build a culture of data-driven, iterative product development, with a touch of magic
- Help define the long-term vision and strategy for saildrone end-user products
- Incorporate user research and iterative learnings into product roadmaps
- Communicate the strategy across all relevant teams and stakeholders
- Own product analytics and manage KPIs, including distribution, engagement and monetization
- Working across teams to ensure optimal resourcing and identifying any bottlenecks
- Resolving creative tensions smoothly and efficiently
- 5+ years of product management experience
- Track record of shipping transformative products that impacted large audiences
- Experience in full-cycle product management from inception to scale
- Crystal-clear communication skills, both internally and in public settings
- Outstanding organization skills, capable of staying on top of your team's deliverables and dependencies
- Believer in processes transparency, making good use of frameworks and hypothesis-driven planning
- Consensus builder, can listen and take in multiple disparate inputs
- Evidence-based decision-maker, capable of efficient resolution to enable fast execution
- Strong prioritizer, able to balance the tensions between competing objectives and resources
- Ability to say no, and kill initiatives responsibly, ensuring learnings are shared collectively
- Metrics-driven, able to gather intelligence from multiple sources, including qualitative and emotional inputs
- Experience in relevant data-driven domains and/or relevant end-user segments
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-A startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.