Product Management | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models, in turn, yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing, and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
We are seeking a hands-on Product Manager to build software used to commission, deploy, pilot, and recover a global fleet of ocean-going sailing drones. As a member of the Product team, you’ll work closely with our users, operators, engineering teams, and business organization to help define and execute on product initiatives within Saildrone. You will be responsible for the end-to-end success of new features that delight our users and drive workflows that are critical to scaling the company.
The day-to-day specifics of the job may vary but typically involve a hybrid of operational, analytical, and design skills. In order to be successful, you must traverse everything from high-level strategy to nitty-gritty execution. We expect you to deep dive into existing systems, be ruthless in prioritization, and own the coordination between multiple parties to get the job done on a wide range of problems: from inventory and supply-chain tracking to controlling drones to transforming the first-of-its-kind dataset.
On our small, tight-knit team, you’ll get leadership visibility and have opportunities to grow as our team grows. You will be a part of a team of talented individuals who are just as passionate about supporting one another as they are about our planetary mission. Honesty and willingness to accept feedback are critical, as is a sense of humor and generally having fun!
- Own a portfolio of internal and/or mission-related products
- Develop product requirements and user stories based on multiple stakeholder groups
- Articulate and communicate product strategy, vision, and roadmaps
- Interact and drive adoption with both external users and internal teams
- Set objectives and deliver measurable results for yourself and for your products
- Prioritize complex, multi-layer solutions to ensure the company is getting the highest impact
- BA/BS (or MA/MS) or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional communication skills - ability to distill complicated issues, ideas, concepts into easy to understand, audience-tailored communication
- Willingness to both solicit and give honest feedback
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts, and dive into a problem with a solutions-oriented, outcome-focused mindset
- Strong technical understanding, ability to establish credibility with engineers
- A knack for gleaning customer insights from quantitative and qualitative data
- Ability to thrive within a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment
- Prior experience developing wireframes and product specs are helpful
- Minimum of five years of experience in product management or related fields
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- A short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.