Finance & Accounting | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $115,000.00 to $140,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021".
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
The Payroll Manager will oversee and supervise the organization's payroll functions, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations. This role will also be integral in the migration from the current outsourced payroll model (using TriNet as our PEO) to an in-house payroll solution (e.g., ADP), and will be responsible for leading the charge in setting up Saildrone’s in-house payroll infrastructure including not only system setup but multi-state registrations and compliance.
- Implement, maintain, and review bi-weekly multi-state payroll to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Review payroll batches for all subsidiaries, prior to being processed by outsourced local accountants, for accuracy.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- File appropriate state-related documentation to obtain relevant payroll-related company registrations as the company expands its operations into new states.
- Work with Accounting to reconcile ADP to bank withdrawals, benefits and retirement plan contribution records, and company General Ledger system (Netsuite).
- Review payroll batches for accuracy, prepare monthly payroll fluxes and maintain accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Prepare and file W2s, 3921s, 3922s and other payroll related compliance.
- Prepare payroll related support for tax provision, tax returns and financial statement audit.
- Provide prompt assistance to employees regarding paychecks, direct deposits and general payroll inquiries.
- Develop and document payroll policies and procedures, including identifying and recommending updates to payroll processing software and system.
- Build-out processes and systems that ensure the payroll operations scale as Saildrone continues to grow.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired skills and Experience:
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Netsuite strongly preferred. Experience with ADP payroll required.
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Implementation experience in setting up in-house company payroll system
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with payroll software and process.
- Proficient in running both Exempt and Non-Exempt payrolls.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required; or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in a Payroll Management role preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in payroll processing in ADP.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.