Media Relations Manager /Content Writer
Marketing | Alameda, CA | Full Time
We have the innovative technology, amazing stories and the global vision but we need an exceptional Media Relations Manager and Content Writer to bring it all together for us in compelling stories that will generate buzz and inspire our audience.
The ideal person will have an interest in ocean environment and be able to translate complex content into communication pieces for a range of different audiences ranging from school kids, to government, defense leaders and scientists around the globe.
Please apply with your resume demonstrating your successes in the media domain and some outstanding examples of written content and published stories that illustrate you can showcase the creativity and innovation of the Saildrone team and products!
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting bio-mass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing, you will assume responsibility for written content creation, media relations and strategy and channel management. This role encompasses story-telling and multi-stakeholder messaging. You will target key audiences and media and write content in a way that will inspire them to action. Communication will take the form of media releases and video scripts, to social media and case studies (and everything in between) across our three market areas: ocean science, ocean mapping and maritime domain awareness.
You should possess a strong ability to collaborate, think strategically and creatively. You should be accustomed to a fast-paced, yet thoughtful and inclusive, culture and leadership style. Integral to the success of the position will be close collaboration across teams, from our Sales/BD team, to our Product and Engineering teams.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Create written content for key global Saildrone audiences (eg. science/impact customers, private enterprise, defense and civil government agencies, investors, and the general public)
- Work with Product to translate engineering roadmaps into customer facing materials (eg solutions web pages, capabilities statements, spec sheets, vertical marketing campaigns)
- Work with Operations to translate operational achievements and assets into customer facing materials (eg mission white papers, past performance sections for proposals)
- Support internal communications initiatives as needed
- Respond to inbound press inquiries
- Develop relationships with journalists to secure placement of meaningful stories on Saildrone accomplishments with key audiences.
- Create outreach strategy for Saildrone news stories, including overseeing media content, interviews, supporting imagery towards desired outcome.
- Support messaging and content on the Saildrone website and associated SEO
- Social media written content (twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, etc.)
- Partner channels (eg customer blogs)
- Manage calendar of external events and conferences, strategic priorities
- Secure speaking engagements in high visibility locations
Examples of real projects you would be owning from cradle-to-grave
- Work with conference’s organizers to secure a large high visibility placement for a Saildrone booth, shipping a complete saildrone and all accessories to a remote location, overseeing installation and staffing of the booth during a week long conference. Secure high visibility speaking slots for Saildrone executives and ensuring professional content prep and delivery.
- Create an outreach campaign for a large scale saildrone project - complete with curriculum compliant educational content, digital delivery strategy and global audience goals.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated track record of experience in journalism or professional writing.
- A degree in journalism, communications or related field - experience in understanding different audiences and creating targeted meaningful content from highly technical offerings.
- Ability to build relationships and simplify complex information from technical SME’s into shareable content for a general audience.
- A proactive self motivated team player
- An outstanding communicator who possesses excellent design, verbal and written skills as well as the ability to present information in a clear and compelling manner to a wide variety of audiences.
- Must be a bright individual who clearly combines analytical reasoning, creativity, conceptual ability, empathy and solid judgment.
- Unquestionable ethical standards.
This position is primarily located in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- WIRED: The Autonomous Saildrone Surveyor Preps for Its Sea Voyage (Jan 2021)
- Washington Post: Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- USNI: Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Forbes: Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Maritime Executive: Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.