Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
At Saildrone, we design and make everything, from the composite shells, to mechanical systems & embedded computer hardware. No one else makes hardware robust enough to last the distance. Saildrone is looking for an experienced and skilled Mechanical Engineer to accelerate our mechanical design, fabrication and assembly processes as well as participating in the deployment and maintenance of our drone fleet. If you share our drive for excellence in mechanical design and manufacture, and have a passion for the Oceans, join us at Saildrone.
- Evolve mechanical hardware & systems from conceptual design, through rapid prototyping and testing, into production manufacture
- Work in close collaboration with our design, science & assembly teams
- Choose outsourced manufacture partners and manage those relationships
- Assist the manufacture team with production of drawings, creation of assembly processes and efficient production systems
- Assist the deployment team with drone launching, recovery and servicing, mostly at our Alameda Facility, but sometimes remote and exotic places!
- Be a critical part of the Saildrone engineering team and our revolutionary technology
- Experience in marine systems, robotics or related engineering
- Experience in outsourced production of hardware
- 'Full stack' skill set, from conceptual sketches through to rate manufacture
- Hands-on attitude for product assembly and testing
- Lathe / Mill machining skills for rapid prototyping / part modification
- Advanced skills in CAD & PLM - Specifically SolidWorks
- A fun attitude, humor and passion for the oceans and our environment
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast growing post series-A startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.