Marketing & Communications Manager
Marketing | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Horizons Ventures, Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
Saildrone's revolutionary services touch multiple stakeholders, from Scientists to Government Officials, from Engineers to Enterprise Purchasers, from R&D partners to the general public. We are looking for an exceptional individual to drive marketing programs that deliver impact at scale to all stakeholders. This will require deep knowledge of marketing concepts, channels and technologies. You’ll need to be able to combine strategic thinking with creativity to execute on high-impact programs, tailoring messages and approaches for each of our audiences, from Scientific journals to social media, broad press, or conferences and events. Your success will be critical in raising awareness of Saildrone's services, reinforcing how our brand is perceived and creating engagement points that result in opportunities for the business development team.
- Develop content and communications tailored to a variety of audiences
- Plan and execute media campaigns effectively and reinforce key messages in market
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy that grows the impact of our achievements and create new business opportunities
- Manage communications channels, including Facebook page, blog, Twitter, newsletter, Youtube channel
- Promote the value of Saildrone services through digital media, channels and platforms, conferences and tradeshow events, PR and co-marketing
- Coordinate efforts with cross-functional teams including Business Development, Product Marketing, and external partners
- Bachelors degree
- 5+ years of experience in a marketing strategy role with experience in digital marketing, category-defining technology, strategic consulting and/or advertising working with global brands or agencies
- Expert in marketing strategy, messaging, content development, press relationships
- Superb cross-functional, project management and leadership skills and the ability to influence across all levels of the organization
- Outstanding communication skills and proven ability to produce strong written content, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to translate complex concepts and insights into simple and intuitive marketing programs
- Strong creative perspective to bring fresh ideas to our marketing campaigns
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, always-on, start-up environment
- Ability to travel globally as events, partnerships and tradeshows require
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Bloomberg - This armada of drones could conquer the oceans
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Adaptable and driven by renewable energy, saildrones voyage into remote waters
The Economist - Sailing the wired seas
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.