Machine Learning Engineer
Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale.
We are building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity.
We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
Saildrone is searching for a Machine Learning Engineer to grow our machine learning team. As a data and robotics company, we have many opportunities for artificial intelligence to further our mission. You will be responsible for participating in all aspects of machine learning efforts at Saildrone, with an emphasis on bringing new capabilities to production readiness.
- Improve tooling and best practices for managing reproducible machine learning workflows
- Create new ML systems to solve challenging problems in perception, robotics and ocean science
- Drive hardware requirements and develop software for running ML solutions on Saildrones in the field as well as in the cloud
- MS or Ph.D. in a quantitative field or equivalent work experience
- Four years of experience working with machine learning systems
- Deep understanding of statistics and machine learning algorithms, especially for computer vision
- Strong Python skills
- Experience with PyTorch and/or other deep learning frameworks
- Experience with reproducible workflows for machine learning
- Experience deploying ML models to production on embedded systems or in the cloud
- Strong C++ skills
- Experience developing ML services that run on Kubernetes with Docker and containers
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Sailing for scientific success in the Bering Sea
Wired - The drone that will sail itself around the world
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.