Global Supply Manager
Operations | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $115,000.00 to $160,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, protect, and preserve our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing into the eye of a category 4 hurricane to obtain new data about how storms intensify collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, and counting fish biomass to inform sustainable fishery management, to mapping the ocean floor and reducing illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022”, earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, won “Best Tech For Good” in the 2022 Timmy Awards, and were recognized by Andreessen-Horowitz’s American Dynamism 50 list of the “Top 50 companies kickstarting American renewal. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times’ “21 Things That Happened for the First Time in 2021,” and Popular Science's “100 Greatest Innovations of 2021.”
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Saildrone is seeing increased demand for its uncrewed autonomous sailing vehicles. This opens the need for a Global Supply Manager located at our Alameda, CA facility. In this position, you will work with teams primarily across Engineering and Production to support and deliver critical parts on the Saildrone vehicles.
The ideal candidate is very passionate about supply chain and has a magnetic drive to learn. This individual has a proven track record of delivering commodities on time factoring in quality and cost.
- Work cross functionally with Production and Hardware Engineering to drive readiness of custom mechanical enclosures, PCBAs, and electrical designs for our Saildrones
- Actively manage supplier relationships, mitigate risk, and optimize for quality, lead times, and cost
- Lead and partner with Legal on contractual negotiations with suppliers on NDA’s and General Terms & Conditions
- Maintain and develop relationships with internal teams and suppliers' executive teams
- Be a champion of the electrical process and BOM documentation
- Monitor, triage, and solve any material or sourcing issues
Required skills and experience
- 6+ years experience in a supply chain organization
- Hands-on experience in any of the following: electrical engineering, PCBA sourcing, mechanical development, manufacturing practices/techniques involving CNC Machined parts, sheet metal, anodized aluminum, enclosures, jigs, tooling, and fixtures
- Proven track record of negotiating pricing, cost reductions, RFQs, benchmarking and cost modeling
- Experience working with new product introductions, transitioning custom PCBA designs from Engineering prototypes to production
- Ability to understand Engineering and Design direction and provide focused supply-chain solutions
- A nuanced understanding of the commodity landscape in the semiconductor industry to forecast industry trends and gauge emerging forces
- Experience identifying and bringing up new vendors (new to Saildrone) that are appropriate to our volume and mix requirements.
- Fluent in PLM and ERP systems
- Experience managing domestic and/or international suppliers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working independently and in teams in a fluid, fast-paced environment
- Humble and ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Travel up to 20%
- Expert in Excel or Google Sheets
- Bachelor’s degree
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
Interagency Public-Private Partnership Sends Uncrewed Saildrone to Explore Remote Alaskan Waters - NOAA OER (August 11, 2022)
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
Meet the sailing robots trying to solve climate change – The Hill (Mar. 18, 2022)
They Sailed Into a Hurricane, Now these Unmanned Saildrones are Seeking Data on Our Carbon Uptake – CNN (Dec. 9, 2021)
Saildrone Catches a $100M C Breeze to Build More Robo-boats – TechCrunch (Oct. 18, 2021)
With A Sight, Sound And Radar Picture, Saildrone Could Build An AI Database Of Everything In The Ocean – Forbes (Aug. 16, 2021)
Changing Arctic Environment Could Also Change Technologies Needed to Protect It, Experts Say – SeaPower Magazine (Aug. 2, 2021)
Autonomous Research Vehicle Completes Ocean Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii – Hydro International (July 13, 2021)
Saildrone Featured Videos Playlist
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individual compensation packages are based on geographic location, scope of the role, relevant experience, and the ability to deal with complexity and problem solve within our organization, among other factors
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.